Compact digital cameras?

A chance to show off your photography talents
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Compact digital cameras?

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG »

We are looking for a new camera, something compact-ish, it must have at least 10 mega pixel and have a good zoom. Wide angle lens, large screen and image stabilisation.

Panasonic DMC-FZ50 is what thin and crispy uses and as you can see from his photographs it is fantastic, his photography talent is great too. We would find this camera a little bulky for holiday snapping so are considering the Panasonic DMC-TZ5 or TZ6 + TZ7

Does anyone know of a better camera in this more compact size for taking quality pics with a good zoom?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, if anyone has the TZ5 or 6 please let me know if you would recommend. :D
thin and crispy

Post by thin and crispy »

Hello Will. Thanks for the compliment.

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Panasonic compacts you mentioned, although I've read that some of the Canon Poweshot models are quite good. The G9 has a high resolution sensor (12Mpix), but because of this it tends to suffer a bit in low light. Good optical zoom though, and very quick.

Canon also do another Powershot model - the SX100 IS is 8Mpix. This has better low light performance (and is also about £100 cheaper). It also has a pretty good zoom range I believe.

If you're shooting in average British weather conditions, I'd say that a good low-light performance is more important than the raw number of pixels. FujiFilm FinePix cameras tend to be pretty good in that respect (my old 3Mpix FinePix S20Pro took some great photos with excellent subtle colour reproduction in moderate light). You could do a lot worse than the FinePix F30 if you're looking for a compact model.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Hi thin and crispy, thank you for your help. We use a Fuji Finepix F401 at the moment, it is ok but getting old and doesn't cope with low light very well at all. In fact it blurs almost every photo which is getting to be an annoyance. :x

We are looking into the Canon models you have suggested, hubs says he has seen a couple and thinks they look quite good, so more contenders to think about.

I hope you will be posting some more photographs soon, they are a joy to see. :D
subjecttocontract

Post by subjecttocontract »

See this review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q408bud ... page10.asp

My wife chose the Sony as it ticked all the boxes.
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

subjecttocontract wrote:See this review:

That camera would be a great pocket snap one for me as it is smaller than the ones we are currently looking at.

It doesn't have a powerful enough zoom or enough mega pixies I'm afraid. It is very similar to our old canon which broke, great size for carrying around, if you don’t drop it. :wink:

Oh well will keep searching, it is still looking like it is going to be the TZ6 at the mo.

Thanks for your suggestion STC. :D
despair

Post by despair »

Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ3 or its newer version is a truly GREAT camera

Simply cannot fault it
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

despair wrote:Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ3 or its newer version is a truly GREAT camera

Simply cannot fault it
Fantastic! The TZ5 or 6 should be good too then. I have read good reviews and handled a couple and like them so far. We just want to be really sure because we don’t replace things until we really have to and just hate buying something we then end up regretting.

We bought a video camera that we are now not keen on but I feel we should keep it until it becomes problematic, that way we have got our moneys worth.

Thanks for that despair, it is good to hear the Panasonic is a good camera and comes well recommended.

I think it is the closest you get to professional looking photographs before they get really big to handle and complicated for techno idiots like me. :lol:
subjecttocontract

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:
subjecttocontract wrote:See this review:

That camera would be a great pocket snap one for me as it is smaller than the ones we are currently looking at.

It doesn't have a powerful enough zoom or enough mega pixies I'm afraid. It is very similar to our old canon which broke, great size for carrying around, if you don’t drop it. :wink:

Oh well will keep searching, it is still looking like it is going to be the TZ6 at the mo.

Thanks for your suggestion STC. :D
Have since upgraded to this.

Sony DSC-W130 Digital Camera.
Compact feature rich camera with aluminium case in silver finish. 8.1 megapixels and 4x optical zoom lens. 2.5-inch screen Face Detection Smile Shutter and Super SteadyShot image stabilisation 8.1 effective megapixels resolution for clear enlargements up to A3 size 4x optical zoom Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens Smile Shutter waits until the subject smiles before firing the shutter with adjustable smile threshold setting Enhanced Face Detection with high-speed subject tracking for clearer portraits Large 2.5-inch LCD HD Output compatible with PhotoTV HD displays for optimised still images on BRAVIA TV BIONZ processor for enhanced image quality and fast response Double Anti-blur with Super SteadyShot image stabilisation and High Sensitivity ISO 3200 for clearer handheld shooting in low light D-Range Optimiser adjusts exposure and contrast in high contrast and backlit scenes.

Big plus is it ticks all the boxes and is the best all rounder from the camera review but also has 8.1 MP & X4 optical & X8 digital zoom. +++++ it has a rechargeable lithium ION battery. Many use ordinary batteries which don't last very long.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

subjecttocontract wrote:Have since upgraded to this.

Sony DSC-W130 Digital Camera.
Compact feature rich camera with aluminium case in silver finish. 8.1 megapixels and 4x optical zoom lens. 2.5-inch screen Face Detection Smile Shutter and Super SteadyShot image stabilisation 8.1 effective megapixels resolution for clear enlargements up to A3 size 4x optical zoom Carl Zeiss Vario-Tessar lens Smile Shutter waits until the subject smiles before firing the shutter with adjustable smile threshold setting Enhanced Face Detection with high-speed subject tracking for clearer portraits Large 2.5-inch LCD HD Output compatible with PhotoTV HD displays for optimised still images on BRAVIA TV BIONZ processor for enhanced image quality and fast response Double Anti-blur with Super SteadyShot image stabilisation and High Sensitivity ISO 3200 for clearer handheld shooting in low light D-Range Optimiser adjusts exposure and contrast in high contrast and backlit scenes.

Big plus is it ticks all the boxes and is the best all rounder from the camera review but also has 8.1 MP & X4 optical & X8 digital zoom. +++++ it has a rechargeable lithium ION battery. Many use ordinary batteries which don't last very long.
Sounds good to me but where are all the missing pixies??????? :D
thin and crispy

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Hi thin and crispy, thank you for your help. We use a Fuji Finepix F401 at the moment, it is ok but getting old and doesn't cope with low light very well at all. In fact it blurs almost every photo which is getting to be an annoyance.
You might find that a model with a good image-stabilisation system helps. I find that mine (on the FZ50) helps me get at least an extra couple of stops out of the camera.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I hope you will be posting some more photographs soon, they are a joy to see.
Thanks Will. I'll see if I can find a few landscapes in my album.
subjecttocontract

thin and crispy wrote:
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:Hi thin and crispy, thank you for your help. We use a Fuji Finepix F401 at the moment, it is ok but getting old and doesn't cope with low light very well at all. In fact it blurs almost every photo which is getting to be an annoyance.
You might find that a model with a good image-stabilisation system helps. I find that mine (on the FZ50) helps me get at least an extra couple of stops out of the camera.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:I hope you will be posting some more photographs soon, they are a joy to see.
Thanks Will. I'll see if I can find a few landscapes in my album.
Sony W130 ....has it all:-.....I'm not getting a sales commission but perhaps I should be ?

........processor for enhanced image quality and fast response Double Anti-blur with Super SteadyShot image stabilisation and High Sensitivity ISO 3200 for clearer handheld shooting in low light D-Range Optimiser adjusts exposure and contrast in high contrast
thin and crispy

I haven't encountered the Sony myself subjecttocontract, but the advertising blurb sounds impressive. Do you know whether the D-Range Optimiser operates automatically or do you have any manual control over it?

Will: I would caution against relying on high ISO figures as a measure of low-light performance. Just as important is the degree of electronic noise (mottled grainy appearance) that the sensor produces. Unfortunately, this tends to increase with both ISO and Mpix. (I'd take a good 8Mpix camera over an average 12Mpix one any day.) Noise is generally worse in compact cameras which use smaller sensors - although there are always exceptions to the rule.

If it's still going, "Digital Camera Buyer" magazine might be worth a look as it provides reviews of many current (and not so current) models.
subjecttocontract

Do you know whether the D-Range Optimiser operates automatically or do you have any manual control over it?

Its auto.
Last edited by subjecttocontract on Wed May 20, 2009 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
thin and crispy

Thanks STC.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Thank you all for your help, I am going to get Hubby to read through your posts this evening and consider all. We will not be rushing in to buying the TZ5 or 6 before considering the other options.

I like Sony; they are usually very good quality products and are also reliable. So we might consider an even more compact camera.

For me it is a camera that will take very good quality photos that could be blown up to poster size and still fit in a pocket.

For Hubby it needs to have the bells and whistles that just confuse me so I will leave that to him. :lol:

Thanks again all, and if you can think of any more reasons to consider other cameras please post them. :D Then when we get the camera and go to Bonny Scotland later this year we will bore you all with photos of mountains and maybe some snow. :wink: Then arborlad can ask me why my photos are all white and have I stuck a sock on the lens. :lol: