Hints of Autumn colour

A chance to show off your photography talents
appledore

Re: Hints of Autumn colour

Post by appledore »

Hi Will. Poor little sapling. I hope you manage to find another one and get it to grow. Our acers that were turning green are the brightest red now. They're glowing like a fire, so we think it was probably the bright sun that was tuning them green, and we hope they'll be pink again next year.

Rotten wood should attract woodpeckers to your garden. Are you watching the Great British Year on TV? It's fascinating.
Keep calm and carry on.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG »

Hi apples. We are watching the great british year, it is brilliant isn't it! I love all the time-lapse photography. I bet like me you are looking forward to the Autumn program? :)

When you watch programs like this you really appreciate how wonderful this country is, and of course the world we live in. In all the negatives we can be surrounded by, there are amazing and beautiful things happening all around us that we can often take for granted.

I will try hard to get a little white poplar to survive the next up-root! :mrgreen: If it doesn't I shall buy one. We do have white poplar behind us, I hadn't thought of trying to find a small sapling there. :oops: I was reminded when I saw a load of white leaves on the lawn today. Goodness it is windy now! :shock: There will be another ten thousand leaves on the lawn tomorrow.
appledore

Post by appledore »

Yes, you're right I am looking forward to the Autumn programme. :) We do take our country and all the beautiful scenery for granted. It always amazes me just how intelligent all the small creatures are. They have more sense than a lot of humans. :lol:

I hope you find a white poplar sapling. It sounds lovely where you live. Have you managed to get any of your trees planted?

Our acers are even brighter than the photo. I've never seen the leaves so red. They look like they're on fire.
Keep calm and carry on.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

WOW your Acer looks incredible! :) Ours hasn't reached this colour yet, it is dropping leaves and turning red now, but not as pretty as yours. I think it did better in a pot. :lol:

We have planted some trees, but there are more to plant yet. We are also going to buy more evergreens to put in the woodland behind. We have rhododendron, holly and laurel waiting to be planted.

I had a lovely long walk today and took some photos. :D It is super fab here, we are so very happy. I am loving these walks, I did six different woodland strips today..(I mean walks.) :lol:

appledore

Post by appledore »

Quick Will dig up your acer and put it back in a pot. :lol:

The photos are very good. You could have your own TV programme - 'Will's Walks'. I'd watch it. :)
Keep calm and carry on.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

appledore wrote:Quick Will dig up your acer and put it back in a pot. :lol:

The photos are very good. You could have your own TV programme - 'Will's Walks'. I'd watch it. :)
:lol: Funny how some plants are better in a pot, I couldn't wait to have a garden with soil to plant stuff...and our acer goes and throws its leaves off before it can turn that glorious red. :roll:

Will's Walks... :lol: You would watch it and soon get bored... or laugh yourself to death. It is still all new to me having these amazing walks, I think some people take for granted how fab it is! I walk around really looking at stuff, then people jog past huffing and I wonder if they notice anything much. :|
appledore

Post by appledore »

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:
appledore wrote: :lol: Funny how some plants are better in a pot, I couldn't wait to have a garden with soil to plant stuff...and our acer goes and throws its leaves off before it can turn that glorious red. :roll:

. |
I think your acer has thrown a tantrum. It must have been really attached to the pot. It's probably stamping it's roots. :lol:

Joggers always make me laugh, they always look so miserable, and don't some of them look a sight? :shock:
I think you get just as much exercise walking, and you can see what's going on and admire the scenery.
Keep calm and carry on.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

appledore wrote:I think your acer has thrown a tantrum. It must have been really attached to the pot. It's probably stamping it's roots. :lol:
Image :lol: I took this yesterday I think, well, today almost every leaf has dropped in the high winds we have. It was sort of red. :)

Have you got these gusty winds? And I don't mean the eggs and beans for breaky type wind. :wink:

We didn't have a walk today, we are getting on with more house renovation stuff. Now we are in a lot of mess again, plaster dust everywhere! I never stop having to clean things now, it is a losing battle with the dust. :lol:

We are having gammon for dinner, a nice bottle of sweet red wine, and then going to do a whole lot of loafing in front of the box... :D

Are you having a good weekend?
appledore

Post by appledore »

Hi Will. Your acer looked good (before it lost it's leaves). :lol: There aren't many leaves on our acers now. I swept up loads yesterday. Yes, we have the gusty wind today, it's really strong. We had the bean wind yesterday :oops: I can't eat eggs, I'm allergic to them.

All the dust and mess will have been worth it when you're all finished, and you've got everything just the way you want it. :)

We've had lamb chops today, and they were yummy. We haven't done much today. I have a pile of library books to read.
I was reading last night as I couldn't sleep, and then when I did drop off I was dreaming that my hair was dropping out. I was pleased when it was morning. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

appledore wrote:I was reading last night as I couldn't sleep, and then when I did drop off I was dreaming that my hair was dropping out. I was pleased when it was morning. :lol:
Do you believe in the interpretation of dreams? I used to have a book which claimed to interpret dreams, I'm not a great believer so threw it away.

But hair loss dreams apparently can signify worry over getting old, losing money and a few other things which I can't remember now. The funny thing is dream interpretation is much like horoscopes, it is open to apply to most people.

Are you worrying over not returning your books in time perhaps? The lady at the library might pull your hair. :lol:

I dream about flying, losing teeth and worst of all being chased then murdered. I go to sleep sometimes and try to think of something lovely to dream about and hope I remember, but I wake up having dreamt about painting walls or something boring like that. :mrgreen:
appledore

Post by appledore »

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: I dream about flying, losing teeth and worst of all being chased then murdered. I go to sleep sometimes and try to think of something lovely to dream about and hope I remember, but I wake up having dreamt about painting walls or something boring like that. :mrgreen:
I've read that dreams are our brain's way of sorting out things that have happened during the day. I dream such rubbish that I don't think that can be true. I dream about being chased down the street with no clothes on. I haven't done that. :oops: I've stopped eating cheese before I go to bed and I think that has helped. I think the problem is that I go over things and can't switch off. I must admit I am a bit frightened of the lady in the library. :lol:

We managed to escape the storm, and it's been a nice day. Has it been windy where you live?
Keep calm and carry on.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Hi apples. Did you have a good Halloween? We had a really fun time, we were going to go out but then had so much tidying up to do on the house, we stayed in.

We carved pumpkins, made delicious pumpkin soup and roasted the seeds covered in paprika and hot curry powder...they were yummy!

We watched scary movies and had a right larf!! :mrgreen:

We didn't get many trick or treaters, we were quite relieved....more sweets for us :lol:

Thinking about dreams, I had a horrific nightmare the other night, must have been scary movies. I woke up feeling very worried, I walked the woodland today looking over my shoulder a little. So silly, I don't usually get too bothered by dreams, so no more scary films before bed.

Do you get spooked by scary movies? The weather outside today is pretty scary, the cat just rushed in like he had seen a ghost...a ghost called rain. :roll:
He is getting to be a spoilt little lap cat. :)
appledore

Post by appledore »

Well, that's it for another year. I'll leaf you now. :lol: It's sad when all the leaves fall from the trees, but the garden still looks good. Just different.

We didn't do a thing for Halloween. We're getting very boring. Our grandchildren went to a party. Our granddaughter loves dressing up, but our little grandson wasn't too happy. He was a skeleton, but he didn't like his hat, and kept pulling it off. :lol: We didn't get any trick or treaters this year.

I get spooked if I watch war films. I dream about big planes flying over and air raids, and German helmets. I can't remember the war, I'm not that old. Honest. :)

Talking about looking over your shoulder. My poor mam was mugged once. She walked past a youth and he grabbed her bag and she fell. He didn't get anything but she was badly shaken. After that for a while if there was anyone walking close behind me my legs went like jelly and I couldn't walk properly.

The weather was awful yesterday, but it's a nice sunny day today. We bought some more pansies this afternoon and I've replanted our hanging basket.
Keep calm and carry on.
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Hi apples. Looks like your acer has gone to sleep like ours. :) We aren't seeing a lot of autumn colour yet, it is still quite green. a lot of trees like silver birch and horse chestnut went yellow and orange quite early then lost leaves. We have had a lot of wind, so the leave are blowing off fast now.

I love walking through giant piles of leaves, it is a lovely feeling. :D I walked today and it poured down, I really like walking in the rain, as long as it isn't too windy.

Did you get a cold night last night? It got down to zero this morning, I can really feel Christmas coming now...although the house is in too much of a mess to put many decs up. Although I will sneak them in soon, just not as early as I usually do. :lol:

Have you put off moving with Christmas coming? I would imagine it would be very hard moving just before xmas, but many people do.

I'm sat with cat all warm and snug, waiting for Hubby to come home for dinner. I am getting very hungry, pasties mash and windy beans tonight. :mrgreen:
appledore

Post by appledore »

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote: I am getting very hungry, pasties mash and windy beans tonight. :mrgreen:
That's what we've had today, except we've had peas instead of beans. Still windy though. :mrgreen:

It's been a lovely day today, cold and sunny, not a cloud in the sky. It was very cold last night, and we had a frost. Lovely. I enjoy sweeping up leaves. Visiting cat usually helps. He waits until I have a nice tidy pile then he rolls in it. He likes the broom too, it gives him a real good brush. He's hungry today, he's had three big bowls of food.

We've found a buyer for our house, but it's looking a bit iffy at the moment. If it all falls through, and it looks likely, then we'll come off the market and start again in the Spring. We moved in here on the 19th December. Far too close to Christmas. We had streamers that year - cobwebs. I've never seen such big ones. :D
Keep calm and carry on.