Do I need to be qualified?

Treebark19
Number of Posts per Page: 30
Number of topics per page: 20

Do I need to be qualified?

Post by Treebark19 » Wed May 15, 2019 11:23 am

Hi all!

I have a few trees on my property and some of the branches need cutting back. I was thinking of doing this myself with something like this saw, but it might be better to hire a tree surgeon. Do I need to be qualified to cut back branches on my property?

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Do I need to be qualified?

Post by Collaborate » Wed May 15, 2019 1:02 pm

We spent recently £500 to have 3 guys come round and sort out next door's conifer hedge (trimmed back to the fence), removing a horse chestnut tree (that was only 10 foot when we moved in but now twice that height), trim the front hedge back to the boundary wall and hard cut back a poorly bush. What a bargain. Would have taken us all weekend and then some.

It's far better to pay people who know what they're doing than to muddle through and do a terrible job.

despair

Post by despair » Thu May 16, 2019 7:52 am

Prices for tree surgeons vary through the country and in many areas £500 will buy you very little
Its easy to say £500 is a bargain but to many people especially a pensioner struggling on just 8k a year its a fortune

SJC14

Post by SJC14 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:20 am

You do not need to be qualified to cut back tree branches. The key is balance. If you are removing substantial branches from your side of the boundary then that can make the tree heavy to one side and in high winds they can fall in that direction. It is optimal to remove branches on both sides to maintain balance. If you are talking small branches (which that saw is designed for) or thin tall trees then that is less of an issue. If the trees have a TPO then you need to give the local authority 8 weeks notice of doing so.