Please help - Whre's th sunshine gone?

Alfie Mc

Please help - Whre's th sunshine gone?

Post by Alfie Mc »

Hi

Can anyone please offer advice on the following. We are getting desperate.

We bought our current home approx 14 years ago. It was a new build. Immediately behind the house there is some open ground upon which, the builder of the houses or the council? planted some trees. The planted area abutts our fence and runs parralel to our row of houses (approx 400/500 metres) and extends approx 7/8metres outwards. The trees are planted quite densley and as they are now approx 14 years old they are approx 7/8 metres high in places. Result...our garden has virtually no sunlight in the afternnon despite the south/western aspect.

We have asked the council on several occasions over a period of three years to remove or the trees entirely or take the canopy off them to allow the light to penetrate. They state that they will simply not touch the canopy under any circumstances (its against their policies) nor will they remove them. The last time they visited the official in attendence told me that they could easily grow to 15metres but that we "have no right to light" and as usch we could not legally insist on their removal. Surely we must have some legal recourse due to the fact that the planting was irrisponsable in the first place and the fact that they are likely to have a detrimental effect on the value of our property. Please, please can someone offer advice. I would dearly like to be able to give a knowledgable reponse the next time I am told by the council "we are not obliged to do anything with them and you don't have any rights in law when it comes to matters like this".

Sorry I cant tell you what type of trees they are but can find out if its critical to the advice given

Many thanks in advance

Alfie
Emulated

Post by Emulated »

Maybe it comes under the high hedge act. I am not that sure but someone here will know. it appears as if they were planted for felling at a later date due to them being close together.
subjecttocontract

Post by subjecttocontract »

In answer to the subject question.....the sunshine is mainly in Spain,.

Very occasionally someone travelling back from Spain will capture a small amount of it (usually whilst closing their suitcase) and bring it back to the UK......which is what we will be getting this weekend.

Forget the sunshine.....I have it on good authority that the original design concept for England did not include any allowance for sunny weather. The package was developed for rain, snow, sleet and ice together with occasional high winds and prolonged dull periods.

The fact that you feel the trees are blocking out the sun is just a trick being played by your mind.....there is in fact virtually no sun available. The trees and their canopy are providing you with a very needed windbreak and if you need sunshine you should definitely consider making the effort to travel to Spain.

Good luck.
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !
ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky »

What types of trees are they,do they lose their leaves in winter..
Alfie Mc

Post by Alfie Mc »

Yeah they lose their leaves in the winter time. I can get an opinion on the exact type and will put on here tomorrow. Is the type of particular significance
Alfie Mc

Post by Alfie Mc »

subjecttocontract wrote:In answer to the subject question.....the sunshine is mainly in Spain,.

Very occasionally someone travelling back from Spain will capture a small amount of it (usually whilst closing their suitcase) and bring it back to the UK......which is what we will be getting this weekend.

Forget the sunshine.....I have it on good authority that the original design concept for England did not include any allowance for sunny weather. The package was developed for rain, snow, sleet and ice together with occasional high winds and prolonged dull periods.

The fact that you feel the trees are blocking out the sun is just a trick being played by your mind.....there is in fact virtually no sun available. The trees and their canopy are providing you with a very needed windbreak and if you need sunshine you should definitely consider making the effort to travel to Spain.

Good luck.
Unfortunately, it would appear that you are not a trick being played on my mind.
Treeman
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by Treeman »

Unfortunately what you have been told by the council is correct.
You don’t have a right to light that is of any use to you in these circumstances. Even if a right to light were enforceable, it is a right to light and not to direct sunshine and it is entirely likely the light you have would be considered adequate.

I realise that you think cutting the canopy off the trees seems the right thing to do but trust me it isn’t. Cutting the canopy off the trees will result in a period of uncontrolled growth with many more branches than now. It would require repeat pruning on a cyclical basis.

The planting density is probably a result of overplanting to accommodate natural losses. Ask the landowner to consider a selective thinning. It would reduce the density and improve light values in your garden.