Getting permission from up to 16 landlords to remove tree

monstermunch

Getting permission from up to 16 landlords to remove tree

Post by monstermunch »

Hi,

I live in a ground floor flat in Scotland. The shared garden next door has a massive 4 floor high tree that blocks out all the light to my living room and, I imagine, most people's light in the two adjacent flats. The only practical option seems to be to remove the whole thing. The gardens are unmaintained and messy so I can't imagine anyone will really care.

Anyway, there are 16 flats next door (4 small flats per floor!). I buzzed and rang every flat to collect signatures of permission from owners and phone numbers of landlords. Only 2 people answered their doors to give me landlord contact details. I've emailed one landlord and another agreed by to the work over the phone.

Does anyone have a practical way to get the legal permission needed to remove this tree?

I'm planning to put a poster up at the flat main door asking for people to txt me their landlords number and post a similar letter in all the doors. Getting anything more than an over-the-phone verbal agreement from a landlord is very hard though. One lived in Australia. Is over-the-phone OK? Should I get them to send an email? Beg them to send me a letter? How can I convince a tree cutter that I have legal permission?

Also, I spoke to some people in planning and they said I just need to get permission from the majority of the home owners (unless someone's deeds say they get more of the garden than others). Should I just cut the tree if I can't get anymore than, say, 9 agreements?

When I started door to door, I was going to ask for donations towards the £700 cost of the tree but, with the practicalities of collecting money, it doesn't even seem worth asking.
Sad S

Post by Sad S »

If you were in England and Wales, you could find out the name and address of the owner of each property (flat) from HM Land Registry online - it costs £3 a time, and it's public information.

There must be an equivalent way of doing this for Scotland -

www.scotlandlandregistry.co.uk

looks like the right place.

good luck - let us know how you get on.
subjecttocontract

Post by subjecttocontract »

If there is a freeholder/ property management company they will know the contact details of all the flat owners to enable them to serve ground rent and service charge bills.
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !