Willow Tree roots

Daveyp

Willow Tree roots

Post by Daveyp » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:37 pm

My neighbour has a willow tree in their garden standing at least 60 foot high. I am concerned that the roots are affecting our drains and wonder who would be liable should this prove to be the case. I understand the roots don't actually cause the damage but seek out weak spots and then cause a blockage. The neighbour keeps promising to cut the tree down but it is such a massive job they keep putting it off.

juliet

Re: Willow Tree roots

Post by juliet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:25 am

It would be your neighbour who is liable and it is likely that he would be able to claim on his house insurance. You would though need concrete proof that it was the tree that caused the damage.

Treeman
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Post by Treeman » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:53 am

juliet wrote:It would be your neighbour who is liable and it is likely that he would be able to claim on his house insurance. You would though need concrete proof that it was the tree that caused the damage.

Nope, you are wrong. His "house insurance" insures his house not a neighbours.

juliet

Post by juliet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:30 pm

I was thinking public liability type insurance....wouldn't that be the case? Just thought if I planted a tree and my neighbours house was damaged that I could claim on my house insurance to pay for the neighbours damage (although think that the money would go from the insurance company to the neighbours or their contractors?). Is that wrong? I am no insurance guru mind but wouldn't like to think that I am not insured if something on my land damages my neighbours land?

juliet

Post by juliet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:34 pm

Forget that...I have sussed it out now :lol: was being thick