Postby JOHN IVES » Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:21 pm

I live adjacent to a brook which is classified as a main river. The brook has several substantial trees along its banks and the flow of the brook has worn away the earth from under the ball of the tree so much so that I called the Councils local tree officer in for an opinion. He advised that if a tree loses roots on one side it will grow stronger ones on the other side to compensate and refused to consider demolition. When I contacted the Environment Agency their man said "I've never heard of that" but did not want to get involved with anything so minor. If this tree fell it would fall onto nearby houses.
Is there anything more I can do about getting expert advice? So far their opinions differ
Posts: 262
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:22 pm
Location: BRISTOL

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.


Postby TO » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:23 pm


What the tree officer is alluding to is the axiom of uniform stress. That is, that the tree will respond to the stresses placed upon it and put on more wood where it is needed to add strength. Googling will reveal more.

If you want a second opinion seek out an arboricultural consultant and ask them. It is likely to cost though. Avoid tree surgeons as they may see it as their next job, and may not be necessarily qualified, insured, or experienced to give the advice.

Posts: 654
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:05 pm

Return to Trees

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests