Trees in a conservation area

Volumiza

Trees in a conservation area

Post by Volumiza » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi,

I've just bought the cottage next door to me. We live in a conservation area but the relatively modest garden for the new cottage has 3 pretty large trees within the boundary.

The garden hasn't been tended for years and these trees have grown massively in the 5 years I have been here. I have made a preliminary application for the felling of all 3 trees (I do actually feel bad as a nature lover but the garden itself will get almost no light and drown in leaves each year).

Has anyone had experience of how strict councils are at refusing the felling of trees and under what grounds they make their decisions? I am quite nervous of a 'no'.

Thanks,
Vol

APC
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Trees in a conservation area

Post by APC » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:58 pm

In a conservation area, you give notice of works to the council. They have 6 weeks to consider whether or not the trees justify the serving of a Tree Preservation Order. They cannot grant or refuse permission, or impose conditions.

They will take into account the public amenity value of the trees; this assessment will take into account the condition of the trees, their remaining life expectancy, their suitability to the location and most of all how visible they are to the public. Think big oak on crossroads, seen by lots of people a day vs rear garden silver birch barely visible from any public place.

The council should have a conservation area appraisal which may be accompanied by a map showing listed buildings, key views and significant trees. They may use this to justify a TPO.

If they are nice/helpful, they may request that you agree to amend or withdraw your notice so that they avoid serving a TPO. This will be work for them and a land charge for you.

In answer to your question, maybe maybe not.

Volumiza

Post by Volumiza » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:59 pm

All 3 trees were permitted to be felled!

Now I'm living with massive guilt at changing an environment so radically :(

Vol.

SJC14

Post by SJC14 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:12 pm

Volumiza wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:59 pm
All 3 trees were permitted to be felled!

Now I'm living with massive guilt at changing an environment so radically :(

Vol.
Your garden is not a woodland or forest - it is for leisure. Letting in more light will actually help a lot of other plants grow, so be kind to yourself. :D