Removing willow tree - risk of heave

kalozo

Removing willow tree - risk of heave

Post by kalozo » Fri May 11, 2018 11:03 am

My neighbour’s insurance company is claiming that a willow tree in our garden has caused subsidence to the neighbour's extensions.

A bit of history and background….

The houses were built in 1960 and I suspect the willow tree is about 30 years old. When we bought the house we had to have a tree survey and have carried out the recommended 5 yearly reductions. Both my house and the neighbour’s houses have had extensions that postdate the willow tree.

We are built on clay soil and both my garden and the neighbour’s garden flood.

The various reports and photos of the flooding can be seen here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CaGdm ... V2i4ZGGQk2

My neighbour and next door but one have both removed all vegetation from their gardens.

My concern is that removing the willow tree may cause heave. The neighbour’s insurance company has so far been very non-committal about heave stating “we do not anticipate heave to be an issue”. I have asked for a formal heave assessment to be carried out but haven't had a response

It would be great to get views on the risk of heave and how I should deal with the neighbour’s insurance company to ensure the risk of heave is properly assessed and mitigated.

Many thanks in advance…

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Removing willow tree - risk of heave

Post by ukmicky » Sun May 13, 2018 2:24 am

I cant comment on your question relating to heave .

I would like to ask a question however, what evidence have they provided which shows the tree is the likely to be the cause of the subsidence.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

kalozo

Post by kalozo » Mon May 14, 2018 8:52 am

ukmicky - they provided various reports scome of which are in the Google folder link in my post

SwitchRich

Post by SwitchRich » Fri May 18, 2018 4:24 pm

So they are claiming that because they have found roots of the willow tree in bore holes close to the foundations they claim this to be the source of the issue?

Do you want the Willow tree cut down? Or do you not care about it? If you don't care just cut it down. Sounds like they might do it for you.