Heartbroken

Cedar

Heartbroken

Post by Cedar » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:02 pm

Hello everyone!
I’m new on this forum and desperate for your advice. My neighbor has a quite old and tall beautiful Lebanese cedar, which is also a glorious part of our backyard’s landscape, as we enjoy the beauty of half of it’s branches in our garden. It also became a sanctuary for many birds and other wild life. Unfortunately, for the last few years the tree started to suffer a lot and now is in quite a sad state. I talked about it with my gardener, who also a gardener for our neighbors. He said, that they are killing this tree for a while already, as it has became a nuisance for their swimming pool and a structural danger. Meanwhile, my nearby plants also started to suffer and dry out. I have complained to our local council last year, but they didn’t pay much attention and asked me for the evidence. One morning a few weeks ago I’ve noticed builders drilling holes into the tree and called the council, sending them video evidence as well, as I filmed these builders. A Tree Officer came to see what was going on late afternoon and sent me a letter, claming that he has not seen any sinister activity or evidence of poisoning and that the tree is not a cedar, but leylandii tree and has no value. I was educated in Forest industry and can distinguish trees, but was very upset and unwell to argue at that time. Not knowing my rights dealing with such situation is also quite frustrating. Looking at dying tree every morning is breaking my heart. So I am desperate for your competent advice, what I can do to safe this tree, if it’s still possible. Is there are any other officials I can contact instead of complaining to local council once again in vain. We live in conservation area. Thank you all so much in advance

mr sheen

Re: Heartbroken

Post by mr sheen » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:42 am

The key info you have provided is that 'your neighbour owns' a nice tree. Your neighbour's tree is their concern and their decision to do with as they like, it having been checked by the council. Sad though it is, the reality is that the tree is not yours and you have no right to interfere. Also, if you keep videoing them and reporting them, they will get very annoyed and may consider that your behaviour constitutes harassment.

The Council Tree Officer will be knowledgeable about tree species and has decided it is of no value.

Plant a tree of your own if you want one.

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Heartbroken

Post by MacadamB53 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:08 am

mr sheen wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:42 am
The key info you have provided is that 'your neighbour owns' a nice tree. Your neighbour's tree is their concern and their decision to do with as they like, it having been checked by the council. Sad though it is, the reality is that the tree is not yours and you have no right to interfere. Also, if you keep videoing them and reporting them, they will get very annoyed and may consider that your behaviour constitutes harassment.

The Council Tree Officer will be knowledgeable about tree species and has decided it is of no value.

Plant a tree of your own if you want one.
+1, especially the last sentence