Screening

Flamank9

Screening

Post by Flamank9 » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:49 pm

My neighbours have replaced their first floor bathroom window in the back garden, which is now bottom opening - their window is against the boundary of our houses (we are semi-detached) - this means that every day when they open their window they look directly down onto my patio and into my garden. They sometimes peer directly at myself, friends, family and actively stand there and listen! I have zilch privacy as the window is almost directly above my head! What can I do about this? Can I plant anything near by which would grow very fast and act as a screen without the roots causing problems in the future? The window has been there for over 20 years so they have a certain amount of right to light. I would just appreciate my privacy back! Unfortunately we have never got on as neighbours so talking is out of the question (else they would have told me about the window!).

despair

Re: Screening

Post by despair » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:20 pm

They cannot open that window over the boundary its a trespass

You can plant what you like to grow ...but tall clump forming Bamboo does not fall foul of high hedges act

Or a single leylandi is fine but 2 or 3 will be considered a hedge and they could complain

If its a downstsirs window install a trellis panel to stop them opening that window

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:42 pm

hello Flaman9
A "bottom opening" window in a bathroom sounds somehow very appropriate! :)
Dispair's idea of bamboo sounds the way to go. Also it makes an unholy noise in any breeze which would cover your own conversations and any sounds which might emanate from the bottom opening.....
window. :lol:

Dave 57

Post by Dave 57 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:56 pm

what is the difference between the old and new window?

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:55 am

As Dave57 rightly points out we need to know the differences. If the old window could be opened, either inward or out, it is quite likely that your neighbours have been able to listen in to your conversations for years. Are you saying that the old window could not be opened? Or that it opened in a different way? Was the old window recessed in the reveal ( ie. Set back from the face of the wall more than the new one) and the new one nearer the wall face?
Regards