Hawthorn tree straggling boundaries - conservation area

Frede

Hawthorn tree straggling boundaries - conservation area

Post by Frede » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:51 pm

There is a Hawthorn tree straggling the boundaries (conservation area) but as we have looked after it for a number of years 28 - it has been regarded as our tree. However, neighbour had a small, in height, 2.54 metres, 45 degree angle Leylandii hedge. It has grown much higher, cannot be sure how high, however, it is growing at the side of our Hawthorn tree and now growing into it and through branches. Is there anything I can do about this? How will it affect the tree if the Leylandii hedge grows higher destroying the branches on the neighbours side. The Hawthorn is an old tree and as far as I can understand was there before the Leylandii hedge.

How can I safeguard this Hawthorn tree. Would an Arboriculturist help me. This tree is situated high up and it is a windy area.

TO

Re: Hawthorn tree straggling boundaries - conservation area

Post by TO » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:29 pm

Cut back the Leylandii back to the boundary. You may need to notify the council if the Leylandii is in the conservation area. Ask the local Tree Officer.

Frede

Post by Frede » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:25 pm

Hi To

Thanks for your reply. I guess I did not explain properly - the Hawthorn tree trunk is mostly on our side but some of the roots and certainly branches go on to our neighbours land and airspace. Unfortunately, a Leylandii hedge on our neighbours side, which was well below the lowest branch of the Hawthorn tree, the hedge being 2.54 has now grown to a guess - around 4metres odd and is now growing through the branches of the Hawthorn tree. The neighbours Leylandii hedge is to the side of the Hawthorn tree and abuts the Hawthorn tree on their side. So tree on our side, branches going over to neighbours air space with the neighbours Leylandii hedge growing upwards into the branches of the Hawthorn tree. Should this situation continue the branches on the neighbours side will, in time, have the Leylandii hedge growing and one assumes destroying all the branches on the neighbours side. A one sided Hawthorn tree . What can I do? Will the Leylandii hedge weaken our Hawthorn tree, will it survive? Should I get an arboriculturist report?

Frede

Post by Frede » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi

As I am not getting any response re my problem - I guess the neighbour can, provided it does not grow beyond a certain limit as determined by the High Hedges legislation, grow his Leylandii hedge through the branches of the tree whether it is a conservation area or not.

How this affects the tree seems to be immaterial. The tree by growing branches over on the neighbours side has transgressed by just being a tree! Even though this tree is not affecting anyone's windows, merely is there and part of the landscape.

Anyone know where one sided tree's can be purchased!