Conifer Height

monty

Conifer Height

Post by monty » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:47 pm

My neighbour who has several large conifers bordering his garden.
These conifers block my sunlight into my garden. Is there maximum height that theses trees can be? Being conifers they are evergreen so block sun out all year round.

despair

Post by despair » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:11 pm

The High Hedge Law passed in Nov 2003 should come into effect this year
sometime

Then and only then will you be able to get something done

Meanwhile go to www.hedgeline.org and all the info is available

including formally writing to your neighbour requesting height reduction plus mediation etc which will all be required before you can make a formal complaint through your Local Council

Beech

Post by Beech » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:31 am

Some council have plans already in place for rather hefty charges for residents who use their services to resolve disputes relating to the hight of hedges, and even then will only get involved if all else has failed. They will be asking for proof of attempts to resolve things amicably.

despair

Post by despair » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:04 am

Beech

What level of Hefty Charges ?

I know Wales has a £350 one which is outrageous

The HH Law does indeed require all effort having been made to resolve the problem including Mediation which in many areas is also expensive

The whole thing is crazy

If you want a fence or a wall higher than 2 metres you have to pay £120 to apply for planning permission

Yet if your neighbour wrecks your life with a high hedge you are supposed to beg plead etc and then cough up £350 for a council official to referee

If Hedge bullies want High Hedges they are the ones who should be forced to apply for planning permission

Another of this government "giving in to bullies " scenarios

Vic

Post by Vic » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:58 pm

Monty are these conifers individual speicmens ie separate trees, or are they grown together to form a hedge? Yeah yeah, where is the distinction etc etc, let's not get into that here. If you have loss of light from one tree here and another there, the new HH Legislation will not cover this. If they are grown together as a hedge, leylandii style, then the HH law will cover this.

twindecks

Post by twindecks » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:44 pm

my next door nabour has a tree in her garden and its as big as the house i want her to cut it down as it blocks light out of my garden and house and nothing will grow at the bottom of my garden. :( ive been to her councel and they have said its up to her to cut it down,,she dosent look after her garden as it is,what more can i do,,, :cry: :cry: :cry: :(

Maverick.uk

Post by Maverick.uk » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:52 pm

In a word, nothing.

Cheers

Mav

despair

Post by despair » Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:28 pm

Its not legal but there are things that will cause the tree to demise at every garden centre .........if the tenant does not do anything with the garden maybe they wont notice