Do Garden Activities Benefits Elderly?

A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers
Bernardrichii
Number of Posts per Page: 1
Number of topics per page: 1

Do Garden Activities Benefits Elderly?

Post by Bernardrichii » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:24 am

Hello Everyone,

I am newbie here. I am caregiver by professional.Just want to ask Do garden Activites Benefits Elderly Healthwise.If yes, what are the benefits of garden activities for Elderly people.

Frede

Re: Do Garden Activities Benefits Elderly?

Post by Frede » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:17 pm

Hi Bernardrichll

I am not a professional, just an older lady whom you might describe as elderly, etc., (one could say I am professional in being an older lady) but forget any description in relation to old. I am sound of mind and limb, do not like to be typecast as it engenders a behaviour pattern that I really would prefer not to receive. However, on the phone, as soon as I have said my age the attitude changes and phrases of, "Oh! bless you" etc., comes along and I put the phone down or reach for the sick-bag.

However, to get to your point, should gardening be an interest of anyone, not just older ladies, it is beneficial to keep active whether it be gardening or whatever. Gardening, if one enjoys seeing a tidy garden, and what has been planted come into being with the additional advantage of, getting fresh air, taking an interest in what's going on around then it is clearly beneficial. One just follows common-sense, using gardening gloves, kneelers, keep active generally so bending down is easier, etc. The elderly, as you describe, can generally stave off many things with a healthy diet, keeping brain and body active and forgetting about age. Certainly the Government seems to think so as the retirement age has increased and eventually the elderly might have to work into their 70's before they get their pension. What I say is let's not typecast people because of ageing - more, as with younger people, encourage a good diet, exercise, healthy mind and healthy body.

despair

Post by despair » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Suggest someone describes what age they attribute to elderly ...to me its attitudes and physical abilities

For my grandaparents i would have said 60s70s although they all lived to 86
My parents 70s 75s but one died at 90

My generation many in their 70s80s are still very very bright and active
Yet some died at 78

Gardening is a major de.stress although this extended bout of heat and no rain is definitely wrecking gardens and killing established shrubs

cleo5

Post by cleo5 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:01 am

Gardening benefits all ages from 5 to 105. The fresh air and exercise are what mind and body need.

For the last few years I have been unable to walk let alone garden.
Now I am out every dry day and potter about and it gives me the will to go on living. Just seeing a patch of flowering cyclamen you had forgotten were there is a joy.
And my blood pressure is in the normal range for the first time for years and I sleep soundly.

My father was out watering his tomatoes when he had his first stroke.
His father, with a wooden leg, gardened until his death at 83.

Continuing with a hobby orinterest is vital in old age.
Those who can no longer dig or plant can still have potted plants or raised beds and there are tools available for gardeners with arthritis etc.
And you only have to watch Monty Don on TV to encourage you and lift your spirit..

Oldies in care homes should be encouraged to take part in gardening.
Many have wide experience and will patiently sow seeds in trays or prick out seedlings.
Even oldies in High rise flats could have window boxes or plants on a balcony if thy wished.