A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers
WILL*REMAIN*STRONG
Number of Posts per Page: 5
Number of topics per page: 15

Scammers

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 pm

http://www.fool.co.uk/news/money-saving ... ictim.aspx

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/consumer/a ... _page_id=5

Scammers really prey on folk at Christmas time, especially the elderly. When my Granny was alive she was disturbed by cold callers all Christmas long, we had to have a special knock! :lol: Once an electricity provider forged her signature because she answered the door and gave her name, she had sent him on his way with a firm NO thank you, but he went ahead and signed her up anyway. We complained but I’m sure the repulsive worm was still operating in the areas long after.

Look out for elderly relatives and friends and make sure they are well aware of scammers, most people are already well aware but it is surprising how many people are fooled each year. :(

appledore

Post by appledore » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:43 pm

Your poor granny. We always rang my mam to tell her we were going to visit her. A few months before she died she was mugged when she'd been to collect her pension. The youth didn't get her money, but she fell and it's lucky she wasn't badly hurt. Then she rang us to say some men were on her roof, they'd told her it needed mending and it would cost her nearly £300. Hubby jumped in the car and went round to her house and chased them. They taken some tiles off the roof, so we had to pay someone else to put them back. We got their registration number and informed the police, but they never caught them.
Then just a few weeks before she died someone tried to break in, they made an awful mess of her back door, so we had to replace that.
She was always a very independent person, but it took away all her confidence. :cry:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:56 pm

Oh dear what a lot of rotten luck and what rotten scoundrels! :evil: I would love to give them a taste of their own medicine, wouldn’t you? My gran was also very independent, stubborn you could say. :lol: But yes when folk are taken advantage of and hurt by ruthless scum bags it does dent your confidence.

These awful scammers should go to prison for ripping people off, I would recommend something far worse for those who attack others. :twisted:

appledore

Post by appledore » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:02 pm

People who prey on the elderly are the lowest of the low. Yes, I'd love to give them a taste of their own medicine. :twisted:
Keep calm and carry on.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:43 pm

appledore wrote: We got their registration number and informed the police, but they never caught them.
:cry:

They will have hitched their caravans and been a couple of counties away by then :x
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

chezan

Post by chezan » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:53 pm

In our locality, we have had a warning about a van selling fresh fish
door to door. There are always two or three people in the van, and
while they have your attention at the front door, others are around
the back of the house to see if they can get in to steal whatever is
available. Always check that the back doors locked, and downstairs
windows are closed, before answering the front door! :)

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:56 pm

chezan wrote:Always check that the back doors locked, and downstairs
windows are closed, before answering the front door! :)
I think anyone could fall victim to this kind of crime, we always lock doors and keep windows downstairs closed, unless I’m cooking and it gets steamy. :shock: You can't be too careful can you?

appledore

Post by appledore » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:01 pm

We always keep our doors locked, and we have locks on all the windows too. I bet it's not just when you're cooking that the house gets steamy Will. :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:25 pm

appledore wrote:We always keep our doors locked, and we have locks on all the windows too. I bet it's not just when you're cooking that the house gets steamy Will. :lol:
:lol: :lol: I have just blushed. :oops: Do you mean when the kettle is boiling at the same time that pans are on the stove?

appledore

Post by appledore » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:25 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[
:lol: :lol: I have just blushed. :oops: Do you mean when the kettle is boiling at the same time that pans are on the stove?
No I mean when you're running a bath at the same time as you're boiling hubby's socks. :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:29 pm

appledore wrote:No I mean when you're running a bath at the same time as you're boiling hubby's socks. :lol: :lol:
That will it apples! :lol: :lol: Although it would be silly to bath in socks. :wink:

appledore

Post by appledore » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:53 pm

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG wrote:[
Although it would be silly to bath in socks. :wink:
Sweaty Sock - it could be the new fragrance for bath salts this Christmas. It might just catch on. :wink:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:34 pm

appledore wrote:Sweaty Sock - it could be the new fragrance for bath salts this Christmas. It might just catch on. :wink:
Ew apples!!! Big NO! :lol: :lol: Although if you bottled my hubby's stinky foot smell after a long hard day you could make chemical weapons with it. :lol:

appledore

Post by appledore » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:58 pm

My dad had very sweaty feet, and very pongy socks when he came home from work.
I can remember one day when they were even more pungent than usual, and when he took them off my mam threw them out of the door as a joke. About ten minutes later we had a visitor who came in carrying them saying he'd found them outside. :lol: :lol:
Keep calm and carry on.

WILL*REMAIN*STRONG

Post by WILL*REMAIN*STRONG » Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:52 pm

Did the visitor look happy? :lol: If someone picked up one my hubby's socks they would be holding it at arms length and asking if we had realised that there was a squashed skunk outside our door. :oops: