Attendance Allowance

A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers
cobster

Attendance Allowance

Post by cobster » Wed May 17, 2006 5:06 pm

Hi

Does anyone have experience of claiming for Attendance Allowance?

I have recently completed the form for my uncle who is in his late 80's, has Alzheimers, and is determined that he will live independently and will only leave the house in a wooden overcoat. My aunt is being run ragged trying to look after them both and I have finally managed to get them to accept some home help.

My discussions with the DWP helpline indicate that as he is classed as disabled he is eligible for this benefit. This benefit is not means tested, it is based purely on disability.

I don't know of anyone else that has applied or receives this allowance so any positive/negative tales would be much appreciated.

Thanks

carpinus

Post by carpinus » Wed May 17, 2006 5:34 pm

cobster, my late (God bless 'er) Mum spent a few of her later years in a sheltered housing, warden controlled, bungalow. She needed help each day, getting up, washed & dressed & help getting to bed. She was reasonably good at getting around during the day but couldn't be trusted to take prescribed medications in the right doses at the right time.
We had no trouble getting her the help she needed & even less trouble getting Attendance Allowance. It was paid direct to her bank account monthly.
However, DWP were very quick to reclaim it for any period Mum spent in hospital.
When she finally had to move into a care home (privately funded) the AA continued & made a small contribution toward the costs.
At the end, DWP were careful to reclaim a small overpayment as Mum spent her last few days in hospital.
I hope your Aunt & Uncle get all the help they deserve.

despair

Post by despair » Wed May 17, 2006 10:46 pm

You should indeed be able to get Attendance allowance without trouble
You might find the forums on the Alzheimers Society website very helpful because all the contributors have vast experience of Alzheimers

Its all very well your uncle saying he is only going out in his wooden overcoat but sadly that is unlikely with AD

So its best to think seriously about the future

Mind you I know what I would very fast do if it was me

chezan

Post by chezan » Thu May 18, 2006 6:35 pm

I applied for Attendance Allowance for my Mum (ninety this year and lives alone) - no problem!

Best to "dwell on the problems" during the assessment process :wink:

The assessment is quite detailed, think about EVERYTHING they have problems with before then so that you are well prepared!

Once they receive AA there is other assistance and advice available - possibly respite care etc:

Good luck :)

cobster

Fabulous News

Post by cobster » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:55 am

Hi All

I just wanted to share with you that my uncle was awarded Attendance Allowance - hurrah.

Thank you for all the supportive messages - it really helped particularly as everyone else was telling them that they wouldn't get it.

Thanks again

chezan

Post by chezan » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:59 pm

Great news - I am sure the extra income will be of use to them both. Make sure they also have access to advice on all the other help they can receive, any special equipment etc to help around the house in general and in the bathroom. Good luck! :)

gardenlaw
Site Admin
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by gardenlaw » Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:37 am

This is the link to a Fact Sheet on council tax produced by the Alzheimer Disease Society http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/After_diag ... ciltax.htm