Probate - should I apply or leave it to solicitor?

A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers
getagrip

Probate - should I apply or leave it to solicitor?

Post by getagrip » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:32 pm

Has anyone out there experience of applying for probate? If over inheritance tax threshold, does it get very complicated? Would appreciate any advice/suggestions as to whether to do it myself or give in and let solicitors (who want a percentage) sort it.

despair

Post by despair » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:14 pm

Its pretty easy to do yourself but you need to be meticulous in collecting documents /evidence etc to back up the figures you submit

www.fool.co.uk has a secrion in "managing your finances " wills and probate

Theres several posters on there who will assist you

Some solicitors merely charge a flat fee for gainin probate if you have gather together all the documentation and got all the probate figures /valuations etc correct ( thats the time consuming bit )and simply need the figures putting in right columns .........and this might actually save you a lot of stress as the official HMR help lines etc are like ploughing through mud

getagrip

Post by getagrip » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:02 pm

Thanks for the info despair. Gone for the least stress option and employed solicitor (£2500 fixed fee). Probably a bit expensive but not only my decision.

Regards

appledore

Post by appledore » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:34 pm

We applied for probate in September. We put it in a solicitors hands, and it seems to be taking for ever.