Help for disabled to find parking spaces

A discussion forum for the elderly, their carers and advisers
chezan

Post by chezan » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:49 pm

stringrae wrote: Chezan - I hope you gave that lady a piece of your mind!
Lady wasn't quite the title I would have called her if I had given her a piece of my mind!
Lets just say that we didn't rush to move out of the way, so she just had to wait a little
longer than necessary :wink: as she was so rude and ignorant. I hope she meets someone
like herself in the future, when she is elderly and needs a little more time and patience :roll:

Pennyfarthing

Post by Pennyfarthing » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:43 pm

We finally applied for one for my Mum (84) a few months ago. We got it VERY quickly and we are so grateful. It has made life so much easier and I wish she had agreed to apply for one years ago.

I think more people SHOULD report people who falsely use these badges.

I reported someone I know because she permanently has a badge on for her partner's elderly mother. I have never seen her once being taken out in that car!! :evil: Yet whenever I'm in town I see the car parked outside the bank on double-yellows or in a disabled space in the local supermarket. :x :x

hotel forty

Post by hotel forty » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:16 pm

Does anyone know Is there any concession for disabled access over a Private right of way onto your own property, Im having difficulties passing over my private right of way (express grant ) because it is unpassable due to mud. My parents live with me, they are disabled and cant get to the front door because of the mud. I would like to create an adequate surface (hardcore the muddied and rutted area) to the original front door, at present they have to walk down a hill 50 metres whereas I could if it was passable use the access and potentialy park 5 metres away.

Anthony Westoby

Post by Anthony Westoby » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:33 pm

hotel forty,

I think you should have put this on your original posting, old man --- cos
this strikes me as the REAL 'prime mover ' in your postings about this
muddy 'yellow brick road' of yours.

I can empathise completely and know only too well how difficult it is to use these very emotional situations as any sort of validity, although they probably are MORE important than anything else in actuality.

My eldest son (who is handicapped) used MY RoW for 20 - odd years before it was blocked and now is denied the use completely so I, too would appreciate it if anyone knows anything about this problem.

TonyW

hotel forty

Re: Help for disabled to find parking spaces

Post by hotel forty » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:48 pm

Anthony Westoby wrote:hotel forty,

I think you should have put this on your original posting, old man --- cos
this strikes me as the REAL 'prime mover ' in your postings about this
muddy 'yellow brick road' of yours.

I can empathise completely and know only too well how difficult it is to use these very emotional situations as any sort of validity, although they probably are MORE important than anything else in actuality.

My eldest son (who is handicapped) used MY RoW for 20 - odd years before it was blocked and now is denied the use completely so I, too would appreciate it if anyone knows anything about this problem.

TonyW
What do you mean by "prime mover"

Anthony Westoby

Post by Anthony Westoby » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:52 am

Hotel Forty,

Iwas trying to say, simply that, (as in my own case) the inaccessibility created by the RoW objector/s hits the most vulnerable the hardest.

The really difficult part is that the Carer doesn't want to use them as a 'battering ram' when in actual fact they are the absolute priority, or

'Prime Mover' in any family unit.

A family looking after disabled person/s is a disabled family.

TonyW.

chezan

Re: Help for disabled to find parking spaces

Post by chezan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Anthony Westoby wrote:Hotel Forty, A family looking after disabled person/s is a disabled family. TonyW.
I have just seen this post and although I have never thought of that before, its so very true :!:
Also, personally, as our parents reach their early 90's, we are obviously getting on in years too.
The things we used to be able to help them with, and we all took so much for granted, are now
lessening, as we ourselves become less able to cope with some of the daily tasks in our own lives.

despair

Post by despair » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:01 pm

Your very right Chezan

The thing that gets me though is the kids who are allowed to tear round supermarkets like idiots without any proper parental control

Having an elderly friend knocked over and break her hip by this situation and receive mouthfulls of abuse from the Mother when challenged that a Supermarket is not a playground really sums up the difficulties for the elderly and their frailty

Anthony Westoby

Help for the disabled to find parking spaces

Post by Anthony Westoby » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:22 pm

Chezan,

I'm glad you can see my point of view and most Carers do the job for nothing or the govt. money of 28p per hour, did you know that?

Despair,

This sometimes has nothing to do with Parental Control and more to do with something in the childrens' psyche that I've not been able to fathom.
My wife says it's because, suddenly, the constant attention that the children are in receipt of is suddenly switched off as the mother turns her attention to the shopping as a priority.

When we used to go together as a family unit in the past i've seen many a young chap leaving the supermarket with a screaming youngster firmly tucked under his arm, leaving his wife to carry on, unhindered.

It's one of life's mysteries ---- like -- 'How does the snowplough driver get to work'?

arborlad

Re: Help for the disabled to find parking spaces

Post by arborlad » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:09 am

Anthony Westoby wrote:
It's one of life's mysteries ---- like -- 'How does the snowplough driver get to work'?

I can answer that one for you - hint - they make good neighbours :wink:
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

chezan

Re: Help for the disabled to find parking spaces

Post by chezan » Fri May 01, 2009 2:35 am

[quote="Anthony Westoby"]Chezan, I'm glad you can see my point of view and most Carers do the job for nothing or the govt. money of 28p per hour, did you know that?[quote]

Yes, I know about the pittance which carers get, I am one, and have no idea how the government get away with it!!!
My husband and I look after three elderly relatives aged from 87 to 92, they all live in their own homes, so it's not just
personal care, shopping etc; but also property maintenance, and making sure that bills are paid etc; Not sure how you
arrive at 28p an hour though? I receive about £50 a week and that's for 35 hours, so about £1.40 an hour. My husband
doesn't receive any allowance. However, there's no way that we ever keep track of the hours, it's always a case of doing
what's needed, and spending however much time it takes!! We both have "proper" jobs and our own family too!! :roll:

despair

Post by despair » Fri May 01, 2009 10:21 pm

have you applied for attendance allowance for the elderly relatives because they should get that which is designed to pay for extra help

i do thoroughly agree that the government takes carers for granted and uses them as cheap labour ............in fact really its slave labour

chezan

Post by chezan » Tue May 05, 2009 2:05 am

Yes, thanks :)...as far as I know, the person you are caring for has to be
getting attendance allowance, before you can claim carers allowance. :?:
My mother-in-law won't claim any allowances at all.......she says
she's not ill ...and she's certainly not old... as she's only 88!!! :roll: :lol:

despair

Post by despair » Tue May 05, 2009 7:45 pm

Thats ridiculous

Fill in the claim form yourself .............and dont forget to fill it in as WORSE DAY SCENARIO ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,every single thing she cannot do for herself and that you have to deal with and help her

chezan

Post by chezan » Tue May 05, 2009 8:57 pm

LOL!!!! You don't know my Mother-in-Law :roll: :wink: She can do "everything" for herself, and, when
someone came to assess her, as they do, she would tell them so and make us look very foolish!

So, we just go with the flow, and I'm sure there are many others out there with loveable stubborn
old boots like ours!!! I do get Carers Allowance for my Mum though, so thats something! :)