Coal fire in council house

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support
humptydumpty
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Coal fire in council house

Post by humptydumpty » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:14 pm

I have been asked 'can the Highland council insist on the removal of oil heating and its replacement with a coal fire'. The reason I have been asked is that the tenants son has a severe form of asthma. The Highland council are insisting that the only choice is a coal or electric fan heating. The worst choice I think is the electric, so that leaves coal. Could the tennant insist on keeping oil fired heating? I know its not garden based, but hope someone might shed some light. Thanks

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Coal fire in council house

Post by Collaborate » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm not sure I understand. What does the tenant want? What does the landlord want? Under what legislation does the council believe it has the right to insist?

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:32 pm

In England and Wales (but I am not familiar with Scotland), the Equality Act 2010 requires public bodies to make reasonable adjustments for disabled people. 'Disabled' has a specific definition and if a member of the tenant's family meets the definition then reasonable adjustments should be made. If the person meets the definition of 'disabled' then it is reasonable for the tenant to suggest ways to reduce external effects on the disabled person's condition and this could include the choice of heating.

If the tenants son meets the definition of 'disabled' and the Equality Act 2010 applies in the area in which he lives, then a polite letter reminding the LA of their duties under the EA2010 should result in a more cooperative approach and may even result in an assessment of specific needs.

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:18 pm

You need to look at the reason WHY they are replacing oil fired systems with coal or electric before even considering the Equality Act side of things and reasonable adjustments. They wouldn't do this on a whim.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:22 pm

humptydumpty wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:14 pm
I have been asked 'can the Highland council insist on the removal of oil heating and its replacement with a coal fire'. The reason I have been asked is that the tenants son has a severe form of asthma. The Highland council are insisting that the only choice is a coal or electric fan heating. The worst choice I think is the electric, so that leaves coal. Could the tennant insist on keeping oil fired heating? I know its not garden based, but hope someone might shed some light. Thanks

I'm struggling with this one, a properly installed and maintained boiler shouldn't give any issues - irrespective of the fuel type.

An open coal fire, especially in periods of an inversion, would almost certainly affect an asthmatic.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people