Housing association removal of greenery without consultation

Landlords and tenants can share their problems and give each other mutual support
GreenOne
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 10

Housing association removal of greenery without consultation

Post by GreenOne »

Hello,
My relative lives in a housing association block of 17 years old. The building includes some Boston ivy climbing parts of the building as designed by the original architect and landscape architect. It is a beautiful feature much loved by many residents and passers by.
It has never been maintained. Our trimmed in the 17 years. Some residents have recently complained of tendrils reaching windows and also a wasps nest at roof garden level.

My relative has told other tenants to cut the tendrils with scissors from their own window which is easy enough to do. Some have have not. They also told the HA that there were wasps nest problems in the years before the climber grew to roof level.
They asked the housing association repeatedly for confirmation of what type of maintenance was going to be done on the climber and stressed that they only wanted it trimmed and did not want it cut down. My Relative has now seen that they have torn down the part of the climber that was reaching the windows but also without consultation cut through the main roots at the bottom of each ivy plant.

the death of this much-loved plants is really distressing to much of the tenants.

my question is did the housing association act within their rights or should they have consulted the tenants before taking such drastic action?

Many thanks for your help.
Collaborate
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Housing association removal of greenery without consultation

Post by Collaborate »

Yes. The landlord can do this. I'm sure that describing them as being really distressed about this is over-egging it somewhat.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

Hi GreenOne,

in short, you’re asking if a landowner can remove a plant from his land without consulting tenants living in nearby accommodation? yes he can.

all the best, Mac
ukmicky
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky »

MacadamB53 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:25 pm Hi GreenOne,

in short, you’re asking if a landowner can remove a plant from his land without consulting tenants living in nearby accommodation? yes he can.

all the best, Mac
Mac ,your short is long. Short is.

Can they Legally do this . Yes 🤗
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

ukmicky wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:00 pm
MacadamB53 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:25 pm Hi GreenOne,

all the best, Mac
Mac ,your short is long. Short is.

Can they Legally do this . Yes 🤗
:D