Farmers land up against my wall

New Topic!
Bob_68

Farmers land up against my wall

Post by Bob_68 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Hello, a room and barn wall of our 17th century property is part of the boundary to a farmers land. The field declines towards my property/ garden so I suspect there is some water run off causing the adjoining room/ garden to suffer damp issues (the garden gets extremely damp due to the level). There is no visible signs of drainage on the field ditches out falls etc. The field level is halfway up the boundary wall. Historically, shingle has been placed between the field and the wall about 18 inches wide but now appears clogged with mud etc.
I offered to purchase a few metres so I could resolve the issue but the farmer was not interested, in fact he has stated I can excavate to resolve the damp issues but he wants his adjoining land reinstated to the existing level!
Does the farmer have any responsibility to ensure his field and water run off does not effect my property? Should he in fact be contributing to any work required and is there any type of survey that can be carried out to confirm my views?
Thank you in advance

mr sheen

Re: Farmers land up against my wall

Post by mr sheen » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:48 am

The farmer has not changed anything that has resulted in damp, the land has been like that for centuries....a good surveyor would have picked this up when you bought the property....and you bought in full knowledge that you did not own any land on that side of the property ie you had no control over the land on that side of the wall.

The farmer does not have to sell you any of his land.
If you want to rectify the problem, the farmer has made you a reasonable offer for you to rectify the problem and return his land to how it has been for years (in fact centuries). You can take him up on it or continue to live with the way it has been for years.

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:53 am

I agree with Mr sheen .

You will need to place a waterproof membrane against your wall and then return the land back to normal

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:55 am

Bob_68 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:45 pm
I offered to purchase a few metres so I could resolve the issue but the farmer was not interested,

This wont happen.

Bob_68 wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:45 pm
There is no visible signs of drainage on the field ditches out falls etc. The field level is halfway up the boundary wall. Historically, shingle has been placed between the field and the wall about 18 inches wide but now appears clogged with mud etc.

Upgrading this to make it more suitable is the best you can hope for....................the upgrade could include pipes led to the ditch, tanking and Terram, all at your expense.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:36 am

Hello Bob_68.

You indicated that your property dates from the 17th century. Please be aware that if the property is a "listed building" you will need permission from your Council to do certain works on the property itself, or in the curtilage of the property.

Regards