Neighbour concrete garden flooding my garden

New Topic!
big_hall786

Neighbour concrete garden flooding my garden

Post by big_hall786 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:43 am

My neighbour ever since decided she didn't wanted grass no more so she has slabbed her grass area up, her bedding area she concrete it up which now looks hideous . now problem is all the water has no where to go, the angle of of her garden and being bit higher leaks into our garden through fence. half my garden where grass is flooded , my bedding area is soaked and plants are dying! my shed is quite humidity now due excess water around and have have dehumidifier running to help reduce damp and water dripping off roof.
As a good will i removed 3 slabs and tug a hole but now just fills and over flows.
ive asked sort it but she dosnt seem that bothered due to the costs (she abit tight ass). she once suggested that i fit a drain pipe under my grass to the stream bottom of garden so she can drain her garden, cant believe the cheek of her, dig my garden so she can fit her pipe.
.Any suggestions what to do, if i do go legal actions.

Eliza

Re: Neighbour concrete garden flooding my garden

Post by Eliza » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm wondering whether this might fall under the fact that one has to have planning permission??? isnt allowed??? to have more than about an area big enough for one car to park in tarmaced (or concreted?) over these days unless permeable paving is used.

It sounds like she has concreted over a larger area than a car worth of parking space in a front garden and could, potentially, get in trouble with the local Council for that. I'd check on this in your position and, if she has illicitly concreted over garden ground bigger than that allowed - then time to get onto the Council and tell them so.

big_hall786

Post by big_hall786 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:39 pm

does planning permission applies to the rear garden or is it front only?
grass area which she covered up , it is the bigger than a car!

can i upload and share pictures on here?

big_hall786

Post by big_hall786 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:12 pm

this how her garden was normally

https://ibb.co/RCJBRSt

this is now

https://ibb.co/HHv8tdg

ive tried to help, but too much water

https://ibb.co/1TzB2jG

https://ibb.co/brvPwdp

https://ibb.co/dM5qmjP

amount of water in my garden, grass is dying and constantly wet

https://ibb.co/RYNjNJ1

https://ibb.co/qsYz00v

Eliza

Post by Eliza » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:22 pm

That won't be a possibility then by the look of it - as it's a back garden. This seems to only apply to front gardens where someone has tarmaced (concreted?) more than 5 square metres.

Sorry about that - I have the feeling the only way that garden is going to get sorted is if she sells the house to someone that decides to rip it all up and turn it back into a proper garden again.

big_hall786

Post by big_hall786 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:34 pm

im not fussed what she does in her garden, she can turn it into a brothel all i care. just dont want her dirty water draining into out of my garden!

despair

Post by despair » Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:52 pm

I dont think she can wreck your garden like that ,...she is creating what is termed a
Legal nuiscance ....do you have legal expenses cover on your house insurances, mortgage, union membership ...credit cards check and double check

Might also be worth speaking to planning enforcement officer ...and download a copy of her deeds from official Gov land registry site for just a few pounds ...there may be a clause which stops her causing you such problems

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:16 pm

Hello big_hall786,
From the photos I can see that rain water landing on the corrigated roof would be collected in the gutter running along the front of the building. Towards the left of the gutter (as you look at the building) there is a rainwater down pipe running from the guttering, close to a brick built pillar. On the photo taken sideways across the front of that building that same downpipe appears to go down to ground level close to that pillar (although this is obscured by an up turned paving slab). This would suggest that there is a drain at this point which could lead to a soakaway, or perhaps even to the stream via an underground pipe. The down pipe seems to be at a somewhat curious angle so it may have moved at the base.
From a practical view point I think spending a bit of time investigating this drain may pay dividends, if there is a drain, and it can be shown to work, or be got working by rodding etc. then perhaps the bulk of the excess water can be led into it so as to solve the problem which you currently have.

Regards

big_hall786

Post by big_hall786 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:40 am

This is classed as a nuisance issue according to the legal advice line .over time my bedding area and grass be gone as due to the amount of water.
I will not be adding any drain pipes so she can drain her water. she made this mess she can fix it either by undoing the work or fitting large soakaways. Her conservatory, large garden brick shed do not go into a drain they just run off slabs, which add to the amount of water piling up. she concrete her bedding area and is sloped towards the fence. so all the water gathers into the well i made for her and over flows towards the fence. she hired cowboys to do it for cheap!

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:39 am

If you're so sure that it's a nuisance I'm not sure why you're posting on here. There is an obvious remedy for nuisance. See a solicitor about taking action.

big_hall786

Post by big_hall786 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:29 am

well i didn't knew it was classed as a nuisance till now , was hoping if any one has been in same boat and how they dealt with it, as legal stuff is not nice but its the last result.
see if i could prevent water seeping through the fence for now , as lot of water running down near shed now under heavy rain.

despair

Post by despair » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:04 pm

If the water run off from her conservatory and shed are a large part if the issue she is even more liable because she is required to drain them correctly into surface water drains or a correctly cinstructed soakaway

I totally agree its up to her to fix it

Suggest you start with a polite 14 day Putting You On Notice letter
clearly detailing in 1 2 3 4 format

So theres no room for misinterpretation

Whats causing the issue

The damage its causing

What you want remedied this will include cost of restoring your grass etc get quotes to be provided later

A timescale for resolving the issue to your complete satisfaction

Say that unless you receive clear details of what will be done to resolve the issue by the 14 day deadline you will have no option but to involve your legal insurers

big_hall786

Post by big_hall786 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks despair and everyone for you input and suggestion, i will get the ball rolling now. she came over but i wasn't home, bought the topic about running piping across my land, but refused this already (the cheek). will go over and see what she says. if im not happy ill will do it via letter, then take it from there.