Neighbour discharging rainwater onto public footpath

New Topic!
chilluk7
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Neighbour discharging rainwater onto public footpath

Post by chilluk7 »

My neighbour has built a sump / pump arrangement to try and deal with some of the rain water from his large outbuilding - this is directed to periodically spit the water out all over the public footpath that runs down the side of our properties, and is flooding our garden. I am pretty sure he isn't allowed to do this so who should I contact and if its the local council any ideas which dept would want to look into this? Or do I need to speak to local water board or someone else?

Also - when we first moved in the roof side facing our side was discharging water directly onto our land (another post on here) - we finally lost patience with him promising to sort it so put an elbow on the gutter so it was at least running out on his side and asked him to sort it on his side - he has done nothing with it his side other than route it down the wall so that water is also seeping under the wall directly back to us.

Surely if you have a large brick built outbuilding with a proper pitched roof etc, one of the provisions should be to dispose of your own rain water properly?

I have had many friendly words, and nothing ever gets done. He is in the process of trying to sell also, so I want to make this official now as I have completely lost patience and belief that he will ever sort anything out, so it is time to make him accountable as best we can.

Please help!!!
Collaborate

Re: Neighbour discharging rainwater onto public footpath

Post by Collaborate »

I haven't got a clue who you report it to, but you have a private right pf action against them in relation to the pumped water.

As for the drainage of the roof water on to your land, the neighbour may have gained a right to discharge over time. When was the outbuilding constructed?
despair

Post by despair »

If he wants to sell its the ideal time to make waves about and raise the issue in writing with all and sundry inc estate agdnts

He really will not want a dispute over this wreck a sale

If water pours off in the winter and creates an icy path that someone slips on his insurance company wont be at all happy and he could be in for big bucks compensation claim as a result
arborlad

Post by arborlad »

Gawd - can't either of you recognise a duplicate thread...............

Collaborate wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:11 am I haven't got a clue who you report it to, but you have a private right pf action against them in relation to the pumped water.

As for the drainage of the roof water on to your land, the neighbour may have gained a right to discharge over time. When was the outbuilding constructed?
despair wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:39 am If he wants to sell its the ideal time to make waves about and raise the issue in writing with all and sundry inc estate agdnts

If water pours off in the winter and creates an icy path that someone slips on his insurance company wont be at all happy and he could be in for big bucks compensation claim as a result
arborlad

smile...it confuses people
Collaborate

Post by Collaborate »

[quote=arborlad post_id=216942 time=1593086677 user_id=4599]
Gawd - can't either of you recognise a duplicate thread...............

[quote=Collaborate post_id=216936 time=1593072678 user_id=21583]
I haven't got a clue who you report it to, but you have a private right pf action against them in relation to the pumped water.

[/quote]

[quote=despair post_id=216940 time=1593081558 user_id=72]
If he wants to sell its the ideal time to make waves about and raise the issue in writing with all and sundry inc estate agdnts

[/quote]
[/quote]

We rely on you to weed them all out.
Collaborate

Post by Collaborate »

We rely on you to weed them all out.
chilluk7

Post by chilluk7 »

I got through to the water company that deals with our waste water. They are sending someone out next week to take a look. I think I will also check with the legal cover on house insurance as we have had enough of the broken promises now to sort things.
chilluk7

Post by chilluk7 »

Just had visit from local water company who reckon there is zero they can do so apparently you can just pump your water into public space and forget it! Advised to speak to council - but couldn't say which dept? Anyone any ideas? Highways?

I'm not sure if I have annoyed the local populace here as this is a linked post to another one if I have I apologise but this is a slightly different angle which I was hoping I could get some leverage as to us it seems like impacting a public footpath might be taken more seriously than a single householder.

Thanks all.
Collaborate

Post by Collaborate »

[quote=chilluk7 post_id=217005 time=1593503542 user_id=20177]
Just had visit from local water company who reckon there is zero they can do so apparently you can just pump your water into public space and forget it! Advised to speak to council - but couldn't say which dept? Anyone any ideas? Highways?

I'm not sure if I have annoyed the local populace here as this is a linked post to another one if I have I apologise but this is a slightly different angle which I was hoping I could get some leverage as to us it seems like impacting a public footpath might be taken more seriously than a single householder.

Thanks all.
[/quote]

I think they're telling you that it's got absolutely nothing to do with them. Why on earth should they get involved in a private neighbour dispute? They are not a court. Ask admin to merge your two threads.
despair

Post by despair »

The local council should be interested since in the winter if that lot freezes and someone slips and is injured they will be liable
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 »

[quote=despair post_id=217009 time=1593516563 user_id=72]
The local council should be interested since in the winter if that lot freezes and someone slips and is injured they will be liable
[/quote]why?