Rainwater from outbuilding roof being drained onto my land

New Topic!
Easygoingguy
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Rainwater from outbuilding roof being drained onto my land

Post by Easygoingguy »

I own a bit of land that is a pathway that runs along the back of some houses, I live in and own one of them, the other houses have rights of access down this path which is all fine. One of the houses has recently fitted some drainpipe to carry rainwater from a medium sized wooden shed/outbuilding so that it runs away from her property and onto the land that has the path on it. The pipework is all within the neighbours property boundary, except for the last few inches which clearly and obviously protrude beyond the edges of her property wall and overhangs the path/land, directing the water away from her wall and downwards onto the ground, and also causes a possible "trip hazard/obstruction" (although it's about 3 feet off the ground) to people walking along the path
This was done without discussing the matter with me first.
The path is on the uphill side of her garden, the natural run off would be in the opposite direction.
The amount of water that will be discharged is not huge, but not insignificant either. The path is bare soil, and will probably soak most of the water away, but I predict there will be some erosion over time, but I doubt there's any real danger of flooding or serious property damage. Other people use the path other than her at this point though, and it could make the surface muddy - but by how much I don't know yet.
I think I'm fairly clear that she's done two things wrong: One: discharging water onto my land without my permission is just not allowed, and Two: Extending the drainpipe over my land to protect her wall from the water is also not allowed.
We've had one tetchy conversation about this, her position seems to be it's a small thing and I'm being overly fussy to worry about it. Although in the general scheme of things I agree this isn't exactly a matter of life and death, I feel I have a duty to protect the land from slow ingress upon it like this, and want to prevent precedents being set for the future. Has anyone got any advice? Can anyone point me in the direction of a clear directive from someone like the Environment Agency that deals with matters like this? I've tried googling, and there's not much that deals with such things, other than mildly irate landowners like me complaining about similar situations.
despair

Re: Rainwater from outbuilding roof being drained onto my land

Post by despair »

Tell her to divert her rainwater into her own water butt ...she is not alliwed to discharge onto your land
span

Re: Rainwater from outbuilding roof being drained onto my land

Post by span »

If your path is uphill of her property..... Install some piping catching and redirecting the overflow back onto her land.

Petty, but I'm like that.