Victorian Land Drains

New Topic!
Posts: 8456
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Victorian Land Drains

Post by arborlad » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:59 am

Roblewis wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:56 pm
You still would need an abstraction permit from the relevant water company. However the old deeds may show that a historic one may still exist.

I'm less sure of that, if, as I suspect, this turns out to be a water supply to the land in question and a century ago the upstream neighbour started to use more of the water, someone would be asking, 'who's nicking my water?' - today we're asking, 'how do I deal with this water?'.
arborlad confuses people

Posts: 1836
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:41 am
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Victorian Land Drains

Post by Roblewis » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:42 pm


I am talking in terms of taking the water out of the ground and making use of it in some way. If it is a broken mains or similar supply then indeed the situation is complex. The water companies have powers over any water abstraction but that does not apply to growing plants as long as you do not pump and spray or direct through an irrigation system to water plants or otherwise for agricultural or domestic use. The good news is if it is a broken water line then they also have powers to repair or order repair to broken mains water supplies.

Post Reply