Victorian Land Drains

New Topic!
Totallyfedup

Re: Victorian Land Drains

Post by Totallyfedup » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:13 pm

Yes, we do have a drainage expert lined up to come out in the next week or so. I will ask them if they can do a test for us.

Thank you again arborlad.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Another possibility is that it was the water supply for your property or what stood there at the time.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Totallyfedup

Post by Totallyfedup » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:08 pm

[quote=arborlad post_id=209047 time=1537112124 user_id=4599]
Another possibility is that it was the water supply for your property or what stood there at the time.
[/quote]

I don't think this would be the case - from what we can gather, these land drains were laid around the 1850's! Back then it was just farmland, so if anything, it could be originating from an underground stream.

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Underground stream eh? Memories of Del Boy in Only fools and horses and the Peckham spring water. At least the slit in your supply proves beyond doubt that it is "mineral" water. You'd best check it doesn't glow in the dark though.
(I tried to put a big smilie after that but for no obvious reason they don't work today)

Regards and good luck with your situation.

Totallyfedup

Post by Totallyfedup » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:30 pm

IdefixUK - I had thought about that myself! We could potentially be sitting on a small fortune!

No matter what problem we are facing, it is always good to have a laugh!

Now, where did I put those empty pop bottles...……...

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:46 pm

Totallyfedup wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:08 pm
arborlad wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:35 pm
I don't think this would be the case - from what we can gather, these land drains were laid around the 1850's! Back then it was just farmland, so if anything, it could be originating from an underground stream.

If the source does turn out to be an underground stream or similar it would add weight to the theory that it was the water supply for what stood there at the time, although you may struggle finding an actual source.

There is a Victorian supply near me to a farmhouse, it crosses a valley and goes under a stream with a mix of pipes, some similar to yours - the source is a spring half a mile away.

Have you tried filling a clear glass and leave it to settle.
Last edited by arborlad on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arborlad

IdefixUK

Post by IdefixUK » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:07 pm

Possible that a spring might be shown on old OS maps.

Totallyfedup

Post by Totallyfedup » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am

We do think it may be an underground stream. The water does run clear, but due to the old drain breaking down, there is some silt etc in it. It is a long shot, but we are hoping CCTV may be able to pinpoint where it is actually coming from.

I never gave old OS maps a thought.....I will look into that one!

Many thanks to both of you for your response.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:34 am

Totallyfedup wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:24 am
We do think it may be an underground stream. The water does run clear, but due to the old drain breaking down, there is some silt etc in it. It is a long shot, but we are hoping CCTV may be able to pinpoint where it is actually coming from.

I never gave old OS maps a thought.....I will look into that one!

Many thanks to both of you for your response.

The old 2-1/2" are probably the best, it will be marked thus: Spr

viewtopic.php?f=17&p=205991#p205991
arborlad

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:21 am

Totallyfedup wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:34 am

Due to the drain breaking down on the neighbouring land, there is also sand and silt in the water running from their land onto ours. The owners of the neighbouring property have told us that we are obliged to take the sand and silt, as well as the water. They are refusing to fit a silt trap. We have also been told that once new pipework is fitted and connected from our land, we would be deemed as accepting the sand and silt.

Does anyone know if this is correct?

Thank you.

Irrespective of source, I think you are obligated to accept the water and in purely practical terms, any attempt to block it would be doomed to failure. If you go back to the time the pipes were laid your downhill neighbour would be similarly obliged.

The sand and silt are something different and the test would be whether it is happening naturally or through some (recent) action of your neighbour.

Can you quantify the amount of sand and silt?...........I'm having difficulty with a situation that will produce it in noticeable quantities.
arborlad

Totallyfedup

Post by Totallyfedup » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:18 pm

Thanks arborlad.

We don't have a problem with taking the water - it is the other stuff in it! The sand equates to probably 2 - 3 coffee mugs per day. We have been told that this is not an excessive amount.....

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:47 pm

Totallyfedup wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:18 pm
Thanks arborlad.

We don't have a problem with taking the water - it is the other stuff in it! The sand equates to probably 2 - 3 coffee mugs per day. We have been told that this is not an excessive amount.....

It seems excessive to me - who told you that?
arborlad

Totallyfedup

Post by Totallyfedup » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:59 pm

We thought it was excessive too. Apparently not, according to a drainage expert.....

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:24 pm

Totallyfedup wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:59 pm
We thought it was excessive too. Apparently not, according to a drainage expert.....

How cold is the water?
arborlad

IdefixUK

Post by IdefixUK » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:49 pm

[quote=arborlad post_id=209076 time=1537284287 user_id=4599]
How cold is the water?
[/quote]

Good question from Arborlad. Use a thermometer to compare the temperature of the water running in the drain to your own cold water mains supply after letting it run for several minutes. If it's similar this might indicate that it's a leaking mains pipe supplying the water rather than a spring or stream.