Drains

New Topic!
missmakepeace
Number of Posts per Page: 1
Number of topics per page: 1

Drains

Post by missmakepeace » Mon May 06, 2019 5:18 pm

My neighbour has re routed our rainwater gully into his sewer pipe, as the rainwater pipe taking the water away is blocked on his land. The problem is I can hear a bubbling noise every time they flush the toilet.
In march the sewer became blocked and we had raw sewage coming up our rainwater gully and overflowing onto the patio.

Can I make them reverse what they have done and unblock the pipe on their land?

I have already contacted the council environmental health team and they didn't want to know.
The water authority who unblocked the sewer, weren't interested either.

Hugh Jaleak

Re: Drains

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Mon May 06, 2019 7:15 pm

Firstly, did the neighbour have use of the sewer prior to making this rainwater connection to it? If the sewer is shared it is the responsibility of the Water Company as sewerage provider, and although connecting rainwater into a foul sewer is frowned upon now, it is allowed as a last resort if all other methods of disposal have been discounted.

Where does the 'bubbling noise' come from?

missmakepeace

Post by missmakepeace » Tue May 07, 2019 7:22 pm

The bubbling comes from our rainwater gully. Which is up stream from the sewer pipe it has been connected into. Previously our rainwater gully was connected into their rainwater drainage pipe, but as it is blocked on their side, their gullies and ours overflowed. As their garden is lower than ours, the water went their way and had nowhere to drain to. I think they have done what they have as a cheap, quick fix. However when the sewer blocked, we copped for the raw sewerage.

Hugh Jaleak

Post by Hugh Jaleak » Wed May 08, 2019 9:45 pm

Sounds like its blocked further downstream, and the bubbling is air being displaced. Try Building Control at the local Council, any work on drains needs Building Regs approval, doesn't strike me they have got that!

missmakepeace

Post by missmakepeace » Sun May 12, 2019 7:52 am

No. Don't think they got building control out. The gurgling sounds happen when they flush their toilet. We can hear it through our gully. We also unfortunately saw it when the sewer was blocked. They have re routed our rainwater to fall into their sewer pipe, when they have fitted the new toilet downstairs. I don't think they dug down deep enough and they have not put a trap in to stop noises and smells. Their washing machine also is plumbed into the pipe. When it was blocked the water board said soap powder is just as bad as fat for blocking sewer pipes. I'll contact building control. See what they say.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Sun May 12, 2019 9:12 am

When waste pipes become shared they become the responsibility of your water supplier. Same applies when a wate pipe crosses a property boundary. See this guide from United Utilities
https://www.unitedutilities.com/globala ... -acc16.pdf

Would be worth your while referring this to your water supplier.