Gap on Land Registry map search

vegansavage
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 5

Gap on Land Registry map search

Post by vegansavage » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:17 pm

Hi. Map search was done on the Land Registry website and behind my property the land does not join up. According to old maps this use to be a footpath (still legally might be). According to the title plan the whole area, including this footpath, falls within the general boundary of my back neighbour. Is this just an error on the map search or does it mean it's unregistered?

Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alyson
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Re: Gap on Land Registry map search

Post by alyson » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:22 pm

Unregistered

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:31 pm

arborlad

smile...it confuses people

vegansavage

Post by vegansavage » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 pm

Why are you linking to my previous post? They're unrelated.

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 pm

The land you own is identified in your deeds. All land outside your general boundary indicators is owned by someone else since all land is owned, if it is not on the LR then it is unregistered.

vegansavage

Post by vegansavage » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:54 pm

mr sheen wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:52 pm
The land you own is identified in your deeds. All land outside your general boundary indicators is owned by someone else since all land is owned, if it is not on the LR then it is unregistered.
I know it's not my land, I just wondered what it meant.

pilman

Post by pilman » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:29 pm

Map search was done on the Land Registry website and behind my property the land does not join up.
When using the map search facility placing the red circle between two known plots will often show that there are two registered properties within the circle. That does not show whether a path set out between two registered properties is included into either title, because the three types of maps used on the LR web-site are based on Road, Ariel or Ordnance Survey maps, none of which are accurate enough to identify unregistered strips of land located between registered properties.

That is why it was often necessary to buy the two title plans for the adjacent properties that would be identified once the red circle was used. Then it could be established if there was a narrow gap between the red lines drawn on each of the title plans.

If that is what you have done so that you are comparing two separate title plans, then you now know the general boundary of two separate properties shown on two Ordnance Survey plans that sometimes are of a different publication date depending on when each property was first registered.

The map you have posted on this page is unlike any map I have seen on the LR web-site, so where did you get that map from and what are the red lines on that map supposed to show?

vegansavage

Post by vegansavage » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:10 pm

pilman wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:29 pm
Map search was done on the Land Registry website and behind my property the land does not join up.
When using the map search facility placing the red circle between two known plots will often show that there are two registered properties within the circle. That does not show whether a path set out between two registered properties is included into either title, because the three types of maps used on the LR web-site are based on Road, Ariel or Ordnance Survey maps, none of which are accurate enough to identify unregistered strips of land located between registered properties.

That is why it was often necessary to buy the two title plans for the adjacent properties that would be identified once the red circle was used. Then it could be established if there was a narrow gap between the red lines drawn on each of the title plans.

If that is what you have done so that you are comparing two separate title plans, then you now know the general boundary of two separate properties shown on two Ordnance Survey plans that sometimes are of a different publication date depending on when each property was first registered.

The map you have posted on this page is unlike any map I have seen on the LR web-site, so where did you get that map from and what are the red lines on that map supposed to show?
Thank you for your response. I got the map last year after a solicitor completed a search in relation to a boundary issue I've been having - I've posted on that issue elsewhere on here. The fulI version that I have of the map states it's from Land Registry, but does also state that it's in "beta". I never took much notice of this map until a couple of days ago and wondered why there was what appeared to be this unregistered land. When I've looked up the title plan the land on both sides of the strip and the strip is within one registered plot - you wouldn't be able to tell that there was an unregistered plot. Last year I had a planning application, my neighbours behind me objected and stated there was an old footpath that might go through my garden. I looked up an old map, before my property was built, and there is a footpath which this strip covers, outside my boundary. I'd be interested in finding out if it's still usable.

Collaborate
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:26 am

If the title plans for the plots seem to leave no room for unregistered land you should assume that they are more accurate than the index map search that presumably you took a screenshot of.

cleo5

Post by cleo5 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:32 am

Do you have a local Ramblers Association that you can contact?
They are interested in tracing old footpaths in ordr to preserve them.
Coontact the Countryside Commission and see if hey have a footpaths map for your area.

vegansavage

Post by vegansavage » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:59 pm

cleo5 wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:32 am
Do you have a local Ramblers Association that you can contact?
They are interested in tracing old footpaths in ordr to preserve them.
Coontact the Countryside Commission and see if hey have a footpaths map for your area.
I saw the Ramblers allow you to submit suspected footpaths online and they'll look in to it. Thank you for the pointers.