Neighbours Extension - Help Please

tstevens

Neighbours Extension - Help Please

Post by tstevens »

I've recently moved into my new house and wondered if there is anything I can do about my neighbours extension / conservatory they have had built. Any advice anyone could give me would be a great help and thankyou in advance.

It looks like the extension they have built is over on my land. In the deeds it says we have a fence boundry that is both our responsability (it obviously doesnt mention any extensions), the fence comes up to about 6-7cm inside of my neighbours extension - so in theory 6-7cm of this brick wall is on my land, would this be classed as a party wall?? how could I find out??

This extension also has windows that look straight onto the rear of my house which makes being outside in the back extremely un-private, how were they allowed to do this if it is a party wall?? also as they have windows in, the window frame overhangs my land even more as they also have big window sills on the outside which I would say comes to a few inches on my side. I feel like it would be impossible for me to build an extension on the back of my house as my neighbours extension has windows in on my side.

This has all stemmed from me putting some trellis on this wall to try make my rear garden look nice, which he has complained about as its "his" wall... My neighbour is extremelly abusive when trying to discuss anything and I understand the previous owners of my house moved because of him, I wish they had informed me!

Any help you guys can offer would be great, thanks.
Emulated

Post by Emulated »

Contact your local council plannng asap to see if he had permission and take it from there. Looks as if the party wall act should have been enforced.
catapult1

Post by catapult1 »

Put some trellis an inch away from his window and grow some realy stinky plants up it!
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.
tstevens

Post by tstevens »

Emulated wrote:Contact your local council plannng asap to see if he had permission and take it from there. Looks as if the party wall act should have been enforced.
what do I need to look for? sorry im new to all this!
catapult1 wrote:Put some trellis an inch away from his window and grow some realy stinky plants up it!
well he's already pulled down the last lot I put up. he says he will call the police if I put it up again as its his wall!!
Emulated

Post by Emulated »

Simply ring your local council planning department and ask if your neighbours applied for planning permission to erect a conservatory. They are bound to tell you either way. Ask them to visit as you believe its partly built on your property and you have lost your privacy. Push them or they don't often bother.
catapult1

Post by catapult1 »

Stakes in the ground on your side with the trellis attached to it. It is then on your property and there's nothing he can do.
My answers are not of a legal nature, only what I consider to be common sense.
tstevens

Post by tstevens »

Emulated wrote:Simply ring your local council planning department and ask if your neighbours applied for planning permission to erect a conservatory. They are bound to tell you either way. Ask them to visit as you believe its partly built on your property and you have lost your privacy. Push them or they don't often bother.
I've checked online and they have got permission for a conservatory to the rear - I guess this is the permission they needed for a bricked extension? sorry I dont know anything about planning. I'm a bit worried that with the windows they have put in which overlook my garden / lounge, I cant now put an extension on my house. How can I find out if it is a party wall, or if he has just built on my land. Whats to stop someone putting in planning then building it on someone elses property? I'm unfortunate as I didnt own this home when they built the extension.
ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky »

He has no right to light through it so you could as said by one of the others put a trelis up on your side ,if he pulls it down call the police.

If you want to totally p**s him off build your own extension,see how he likes looking out onto a brick wall. He will probably object to your plans but the chances are you will get permision.
subjecttocontract

Post by subjecttocontract »

Was your neighbours extension built before you moved into your property ?
Almost everything I say is tinged with irony !
andrew54

Post by andrew54 »

Forget the party wall act, it is for future constructions, not ones already built.

Write to your local planning department, enforcement officer. Ask them to investigate and take action over this conservatory/extention. Tell them you suspect it has been built different to the plans. Tell them about the overlooking windows. Do not mention it being built on your land, this is not a planning issue. Keep your letter brief and not emotional.

Also write to your local building control office. Ask a duplicate of above.

Remember that often it is not possible to exactly know where the land ownership boundary is positioned. You cannot prove that the wall is partly on your land.

This should have all been prevented by you having a strong boundary fence, and if/when anyone interferes with your fence you call the police.

At this stage you can put up a fence, two metres high, not quite touching the window sills.