Neighbour has built conservatory into my garden.

mattybox

Neighbour has built conservatory into my garden.

Post by mattybox » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:42 pm

Hi, I have just come back from UAE (with work), and my neighbour has built a conservatory into my garden. It is built a considerable amount of feet into my garden.
I want to know what rights do I have? And what steps I should possibly take to resolve this? Any advise would be very welcome.

It was built just over 2 years ago without planning permission, as I have been told by another neighbour.

I have not spoken to my next door neighbour, as I want to gather as much info before I speak to them.

Not a headache I wanted now that I have returned back to the UK.

Cheers,

Matthew

juliet

Re: Neighbour has built conservatory into my garden.

Post by juliet » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:03 pm

I think......If you are confident that it really is on your land, then ultimately he will have to remove it. It may, though, mean that you have go to court to make him do that if he refuses. One alternative that came to mind was that you sell him that bit of land which might work out cheaper than him demolishing and rebuilding. It is awful though when people take advantage like that.

You starting point should really be a discussion with him, see where that goes (in that does he accept it is on your land or does he think that it is on his land) and then consider your options after that.

hzatph

Post by hzatph » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:12 pm

I agree with the last post but would add that he may not need planning permission.

mattybox

Post by mattybox » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30 am

Hi thank you both for replying back.
I am for certain sure that my neighbour has built onto my land. (Probably a really stupid question but...) What documents should I expect to have / or would I need that would explain my garden boundary?

It is a real bummer of headache to come back to. I continue to tell myself to stay calm, focus my attention to understand the legal/my rights aspect of this!!!! :(

despair

Post by despair » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:24 am

Was there no fence to demarcate the boundary because it seems a bit foolish to be away and leave the possibility of encroachment like this

Check very very carefully all mortgages/insurances/credit cards/union memberships for Legal Expenses Cover

hzatph

Post by hzatph » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:55 pm

You want the land registry plans for your house and next door. You can order them online I think at Land Registry if you do not have a copy.

despair

Post by despair » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:53 pm

www.landregistry.gov.uk £5 a house during business hours