will i have to dig it all up!

goldenbrown

will i have to dig it all up!

Post by goldenbrown » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:47 am

hello,I have just finished building a pigeon loft/kennel and run at the end of the garden the shed is on blocks and the dog run is concrete with roof,we just about finished concreting when the guy who lives at the back of us pops his head up and asks what we are doing we tell him and he then goes on to say that when his house was built (14 years ago)the builder put the fence 50cm back from the boundary so he has 50cm of land my side,he also said that there was a wire fence which we could not find(we have been here 1 year)he did say we could leave it there but i am worried that once we have finished he might then say move it, do i have to dig it up and move the kennel base and shed?how close can a shed be to a boundary?and how close can i build a concrete base to a boundary?

hope this makes sense golden.

juliet

Re: will i have to dig it all up!

Post by juliet » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:31 am

No, just leave it there. He could in theory take you to court and get a court order requring you to move the items but that is costly, stressful and not worth the bother over 50cm. I would say to him that you appreciate what he saying but that you had no idea that was th case and it is now a bit unreasonable to ask you to move the items. Maybe say that when you ever do work again on your garden again in the future, you will maybe move back from the boundary then? Just so that you don't fall out over it.

Mojisola

Post by Mojisola » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:48 am

After 14 years, the boundary is where the fence is. If he was worried about that 50cm, he'd have made sure the real boundary was clearly marked in some way and that you, as the neighbour, were well aware of the situation.

Don't offer to move the constructions at some future point because that will show you're accepting the land is his.

goldenbrown

Post by goldenbrown » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:13 am

thanks for your advice here are some pictures of the problem,i told him that i have cut all the ivy down which has given his garden lots of extra light and creosoted his fence which cost me £150.

cant seem to post pictures!

golden

span

Post by span » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:39 am

People can claim anything. Have you verified his claim?

hzatph

Post by hzatph » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 pm

Well, he has not proven his 50cm - best thing is not to acknowledge the land as his and ignore the issue.

despair

Post by despair » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 pm

"i have cut down the ivy and creosoted his fence which has cost me £150 " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must be one hell of a long fence to need £150 of creosote

If its his fence the OP had no right to touch it or treat it with anything and creosote itself was banned several years ago

Creocote /creosote substitute is only £9 for 5 litres which would treat at least 6 of the standard 2metre panels

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:49 pm

Mojisola wrote:After 14 years, the boundary is where the fence is. If he was worried about that 50cm, he'd have made sure the real boundary was clearly marked in some way and that you, as the neighbour, were well aware of the situation.

Don't offer to move the constructions at some future point because that will show you're accepting the land is his.
+1
arborlad

smile...it confuses people