Building Face

Building Face

Postby mattwebbuk » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:53 am


We have a what seems a rare situation where our house wall is on a boundary with our neighbour. My neighbour has explained that they are constructing a lean-to and their may be some noise. It turns out that the workers started putting battening on our wall and I told them to stop. My question is, how far away from our building face should their lean-to be taking into account water drainage?
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:54 am

Ads are not endorsed by or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Re: Building Face

Postby Collaborate » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:48 pm

It is either built up to the boundary edge, so wholly on your side, or it straddles the boundary, which runs through the middle of the wall.

If the former, it's your wall and they are not allowed to attach anything to it.

If the latter, it is jointly owned, but check the provisions of the Party Wall Act to see whether or not they have to serve you with a notice.
Posts: 1233
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:17 am

Re: Building Face

Postby ukmicky » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:06 am

In theory it can be less than a millimetre away .

When something is built that close however the normal practise is to weather proof the gap between the two structures.

To weather proof the gap they would need your permission or a party wall award which would require then to follow the procedures under the party wall act.
Advice given is not legally qualified and you are advised to gain a professional opinion
Posts: 4614
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:13 pm
Location: London

Return to Boundaries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests