Boundary covenants

jonahinoz

Re: Boundary covenants

Post by jonahinoz » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:08 pm

(although sometimes easier said than done when she stops outside my house and stares in my windows ... but if she wants to waste her life doing that then it's fine ...)

Hi Belinda,

It might not bother you, but that is the sort of thing that has recently become fashionable to report.

So mount a video camera in your front room, pointing out of the window. It's up to you if you place it where she can't see, use the footage as evidence to support your claim that she is stalking you (Maybe she "does her shopping round the corner". ?). If you put it where she can see it, it should be a deterant even if it is not switched on.

Best case scenario, is to hold the camera, and walk towards the window ... into her line of sight, see how long it takes for her to depart. I'm not sure if that is legal, so don't switch it on.

John W

BelindaB

Post by BelindaB » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:29 pm

Hi Mac,

Yes, the neighbour in question has the same covenants as they raised it in the first place. And one other person further down the street has told me it's on theirs too.
I have drafted a letter in case things get worse stating the points that have been discussed on here. I'll pop it through their door, and avoid confrontation! It's a pretty neutral letter. I haven't been nasty, but she will probably take it that way.

Hi John,
I have CCTV which captures the pavement (unintentionally), so I keep making copies of her passing the house staring in/checking out my garden. Though I doubt I'll be able to use it legally because of Data Protection (I think you're not supposed to capture anything but your own property?).

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:47 am

(I think you're not supposed to capture anything but your own property?).

Hi Belinda,

When a 6-year old boy was run over (not knocked down) outside my house, the police were happy to look at video footage from a security camera mounted on the front of another neighbour's house. There are thousands, if not millions, of cars driving around, that are fitted with dash-cams. And then there is Google Maps, which will show a satellite view of your back garden, for all to see. I believe you can ask Google to obliterate personal stuff from their Street Views.

So, does anybody know? Is videoing a crime, or a tort (whatever a tort is?), or a civil matter. May you video the street through your front window? Does focusing your camera on your neighbour's property count as harassment or whatever? I have known cases where victims of theft and criminal damage have been glad that a neighbour's video camera was viewing their property.

OT ... the woman who ran the boy over was acquainted PC who attended, which was "interesting". She received a large fine. was disqualified for a long period, and will be required to take a test before getting her full licence back. She will also be required to wear spectacles when driving. The boy made a full recovery, after spending a couple of months in hospital, with the question of whether he would ever walk again, hanging over him.

John W

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:12 pm

You can capture part of the road/street in your home cctv as far as I'm aware. In the UK you can basically do anything that isn't prescribed as unlawful, unlike some other jurisdictions that work the opposite way round.

BelindaB

Post by BelindaB » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Thanks, both of you :)