trellis on a boundary wall

jodrennan
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

trellis on a boundary wall

Post by jodrennan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:48 pm

We live in a terraced house with boundary walls in the garden on both sides. The land registry does not determine who owns which wall so all owners share responsibility for each adjoining wall. We would like to install some trellis on one of the walls. We spoke to the neighbour who has refused permission for us to install it on the top of the wall and has insisted that we fix batons to our side of the wall and fix the trellis to that. However, that will look unsightly and we would like to fix trellis atop the wall. What rights do we have? Surely if the wall is shared then we own half of it and that gives us the right to fix something on top of the wall as long as it doesn't go over halfway? The wall is probably 8 inches wide so can we fix to the four inches on our side?
Any help greatly appreciated.
JG - London

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: trellis on a boundary wall

Post by MacadamB53 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi JG,

What rights do we have?

Surely if the wall is shared then we own half of it and that gives us the right to fix something on top of the wall as long as it doesn't go over halfway?

yup - you’ve answered your own question :)

btw, I don’t think the “batons” solution would be unsightly.

kind regards, Mac

jonahinoz

Re: trellis on a boundary wall

Post by jonahinoz » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:56 am

btw, I don’t think the “batons” solution would be unsightly.

Hi Mac,

"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!" Me? I'd prefer not to see trellis on top of a wall, but it's not my wall, so I won't look at it. Each to his own, and all that.

However, I would not be happy fixing trellis directly to the top of the wall, from a structural point of view. TOOLSTATION list galvanised post sockets that bolt to a flat floor, and do have them for 50mm square posts (about a fiver each). Presumably somebody has done a "stress job" to prove they offer sufficient support for a reasonable height fence. But I suspect that the square base/flange is greater than 4", so will project more than half the width of the wall. SWMBO found some sockets on Amazon that had the base/flange folded over, presumably so that it could be bolted to the face of wall ... or would they be for decking? These were not suitable for my specifice requirements, so I didn't even glance over her shoulder. I suspect they were for 3" or 4" posts.

To my mind, a post bolted to the face of a wall has greater structural integrity than one "nailed" to the top.

JG should consider the structural integrity of his wall, and keep in mind that anything over two metres high will require planning permission. He would be leaving the door open for his neighbour to "develop" his side of the wall ... like standing an army of malevolent looking gnomes along the top of the wall, all glaring into JG's garden. :twisted:

John W