Chartered surveyors

arborlad
Posts: 7680
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by arborlad » Tue May 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Volumiza wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:13 pm
I have actually stepped back about a foot from where the surveyor had stayed the boundary.............


Very bad idea!...........why bother with a surveyor :roll:
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Volumiza
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by Volumiza » Tue May 01, 2018 2:32 pm

This was how much they’d encroached:

Image

This is what I’ve done:

Image

Hope that works.

I haven’t gone right up to the centimetre because I didn’t want to push it. It was never about inches just pure principle.

Now I wait for the bully tactics.

Volumiza
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by Volumiza » Tue May 01, 2018 2:33 pm

Do them links work? Now it’s all out in the open I can be a little more clear with my postings

arborlad
Posts: 7680
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by arborlad » Tue May 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Volumiza wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:33 pm
Do them links work?


No.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

SwitchRich
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:34 am

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by SwitchRich » Wed May 09, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks for the update here and do keep us posted with any further news! :) Good luck!

arborlad
Posts: 7680
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by arborlad » Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 pm

SwitchRich wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:07 pm
Thanks for the update here and do keep us posted with any further news! :) Good luck!


There was quite a long post 'bout a week ago including images - it was deleted before I had a chance to view.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Volumiza
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by Volumiza » Wed May 16, 2018 7:54 am

arborlad wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 pm
There was quite a long post 'bout a week ago including images - it was deleted before I had a chance to view.
Hi, yes, I did post a lengthy and clear description of what had been going on but things turned very nasty very quickly with the owner of next door so, assuming we are about to enter another period of litigation I decided to delete the post. Sorry.

Basically what I had done is erect a small (1 foot wide) fence attached to the back fence to mark what I consider to be my boundary in accordance with my surveyors report. I cannot fence across the whole boundary line due to it being access to their parking spot / top garden. I understand this so had been really discreet with it and kept it the same width as the flower borders running across the top of the drive. I then emailed the owner of next door explaining that this was our boundary feature and should be respected by both sides going forward. Any damage or interference to the fence would be viewed as criminal damage.

I went up to my car the next morning to find this fence ripped up, cement and all, and thrown in our garden. So fearing they were just going to bang a fence of their own up I booked the day off work and got some nice bricks (with a crosshatch design) to sink into the ground across the whole boundary line. I was sinking them in so it can be easily driven over and completely non intrusive. I also erected a sturdier, taller fence in the same proportions as the previous one.

While I was doing this I got a load of abuse from the tenants of next door shortly followed by one of the owners coming and filming me while I was doing it. At the time she came up the bricks weren’t sunk into the ground, just laying across it in a straight line. She disappeared without saying anything to me.

Then a torrent of nasty emails, with solicitors cc’d in, stating that I was blocking their access and to remove the bricks and fence.

I argued that 1 foot of fence was not blocking access and the bricks would be flush with ground level and were no obstruction whatsoever. This email tennis went on all day, focussing on nothing but me being nasty, threatening, blocking access but nothing at all about the fact it was all due to them encroaching onto my property .... again.

This is what they did last time. Commit an aggressive act against my property and then cry victim when I challenge it.

So now I am waiting for a letter from their solicitor and facing daily aggravation from the tenants. They now are just moving things ever closer to the boundary, leaving plant pots on my side of the line of bricks, glaring through our windows at us and all sorts of stupid stuff, all to get me to react and lose my temper, which is what they want.

We’re in an absolutely astonishing situation where our only options are either cede property and let them do what they want or face constant bullying behaviour. Rubbish situation and our dream house has turned into a living nightmare.

They don’t see that had they just been satisfied with their property and not taken such advantage of mine there would be no argument. I leave nothing of mine on anyone else’s property and am very careful not to have any negative impact on surrounding properties. Maybe it is us that are the fools.

Vol

SwitchRich
Posts: 149
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:34 am

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by SwitchRich » Wed May 16, 2018 10:19 am

Hi Vol,

Sorry to hear things are turning nasty again. Seems like just by having to assert what is yours by deed you are having to catch alot of flak. Also seems weird the tenants are in on the game too.
If you can do keep us all informed as I've read a ton of threads here where the regular and informed members offer a great support to the people who need it. :)

Stay strong!

Rich

Volumiza
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by Volumiza » Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 pm

SwitchRich wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 10:19 am
Also seems weird the tenants are in on the game too.
They are related Rich. All one family.

despair
Posts: 16219
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:07 am

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by despair » Wed May 16, 2018 7:54 pm

An entire family of nasty bullies sadly

arborlad
Posts: 7680
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by arborlad » Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 pm

Volumiza wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:54 am
arborlad wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:33 pm
There was quite a long post 'bout a week ago including images - it was deleted before I had a chance to view.
Hi, yes, I did post a lengthy and clear description of what had been going on but things turned very nasty very quickly with the owner of next door so, assuming we are about to enter another period of litigation I decided to delete the post. Sorry.

Basically what I had done is erect a small (1 foot wide) fence attached to the back fence to mark what I consider to be my boundary in accordance with my surveyors report. I cannot fence across the whole boundary line due to it being access to their parking spot / top garden. I understand this so had been really discreet with it and kept it the same width as the flower borders running across the top of the drive. I then emailed the owner of next door explaining that this was our boundary feature and should be respected by both sides going forward. Any damage or interference to the fence would be viewed as criminal damage.

I went up to my car the next morning to find this fence ripped up, cement and all, and thrown in our garden. So fearing they were just going to bang a fence of their own up I booked the day off work and got some nice bricks (with a crosshatch design) to sink into the ground across the whole boundary line. I was sinking them in so it can be easily driven over and completely non intrusive. I also erected a sturdier, taller fence in the same proportions as the previous one.

While I was doing this I got a load of abuse from the tenants of next door shortly followed by one of the owners coming and filming me while I was doing it. At the time she came up the bricks weren’t sunk into the ground, just laying across it in a straight line. She disappeared without saying anything to me.

Then a torrent of nasty emails, with solicitors cc’d in, stating that I was blocking their access and to remove the bricks and fence.

I argued that 1 foot of fence was not blocking access and the bricks would be flush with ground level and were no obstruction whatsoever. This email tennis went on all day, focussing on nothing but me being nasty, threatening, blocking access but nothing at all about the fact it was all due to them encroaching onto my property .... again.

This is what they did last time. Commit an aggressive act against my property and then cry victim when I challenge it.

So now I am waiting for a letter from their solicitor and facing daily aggravation from the tenants. They now are just moving things ever closer to the boundary, leaving plant pots on my side of the line of bricks, glaring through our windows at us and all sorts of stupid stuff, all to get me to react and lose my temper, which is what they want.

We’re in an absolutely astonishing situation where our only options are either cede property and let them do what they want or face constant bullying behaviour. Rubbish situation and our dream house has turned into a living nightmare.

They don’t see that had they just been satisfied with their property and not taken such advantage of mine there would be no argument. I leave nothing of mine on anyone else’s property and am very careful not to have any negative impact on surrounding properties. Maybe it is us that are the fools.

Vol


You were advised to employ a competent professional to carry out this work, you chose to ignore this advice and are now suffering the consequences.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Volumiza
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by Volumiza » Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 am

arborlad wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 pm
You were advised to employ a competent professional to carry out this work, you chose to ignore this advice and are now suffering the consequences.
Hi Aborlad, surely I didn't need to employ someone to sink some bricks into the ground? It would have cost £100's when I could easily do it myself. I would have faced this wrath even if I had paid someone to do it.

So far these guys have cost me £2500+ for a wrought iron fence to keep them out of my garden, £1000's in litigation fees, £500 for a chartered surveyor. I'm not rich enough to keep paying out for this stuff.

Vol.

arborlad
Posts: 7680
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:30 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by arborlad » Thu May 17, 2018 1:16 pm

Volumiza wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:27 am
arborlad wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 pm
You were advised to employ a competent professional to carry out this work, you chose to ignore this advice and are now suffering the consequences.
Hi Aborlad, surely I didn't need to employ someone to sink some bricks into the ground? It would have cost £100's when I could easily do it myself. I would have faced this wrath even if I had paid someone to do it.

So far these guys have cost me £2500+ for a wrought iron fence to keep them out of my garden, £1000's in litigation fees, £500 for a chartered surveyor. I'm not rich enough to keep paying out for this stuff.

Vol.



I believe in your circumstances, employing someone to do the work for you would have had a better outcome, more correct - no lost foot, more longlasting - the neighbour wouldn't be able to remove it.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Volumiza
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by Volumiza » Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 pm

You may be right, I’ve made sure I’ve done a nice job though, so aesthetically it looks fine and is totally non obstructive. The lost foot was a conscious decision on my part to avoid seeming unreasonable or agressive if this were to reach court. Sometimes you have to action things quickly and do what you think right at the time.

There hasn’t been any further aggravation from them for 2 days now so fingers crossed everyone can move on.

Volumiza
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:15 am

Re: Chartered surveyors

Post by Volumiza » Sat May 19, 2018 8:28 am

Still nothing! Almost a whole week with no mischief!

Nearly 3 weeks since the trouble flared up again, lots of threats of solicitors letters and so far none have materialised. I really hope it was all bluster and my family can start a new chapter now.

Vol

Post Reply