New Builld Boundary Dispute

gr00031
Number of Posts per Page: 1
Number of topics per page: 1

New Builld Boundary Dispute

Post by gr00031 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:42 am

Hi All,

I've seen a post about new build boundary issues, but I have one that's slightly different so I hope it's ok to do a new post.

I moved into a new build in Dec, and a few weeks later I noticed that they had put the fence in the wrong place by around 2m (equating to around 10 square foot of the garden missing). I wasn't too pleased as this could have caused us huge issues in the future, and it was a mistake by them spotted by us.

I raised an internal complaint with the developers, who have admitted fault, and corrected the fence and the boundary within a few days of us complaining about it. Upon complaining they offered us £500 as a compensation for the hassle we have been through.

I was hoping for slightly more, as when I originally asked for compensation, they said they'd give me a garden landscaping package for the hassle, however £500 won't get me too far. The internal complaint came back with, 'we have admitted the error, however as nothing is wrong now, we don't believe we owe any further compensation'.

Without any legal background in the matter, do I just accept the compensation they are offering me, or can I go down the route of the potential issues we could have had, had we not spotted their mistake, and potentially get more?

Any advice would be great.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: New Builld Boundary Dispute

Post by Collaborate » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:56 am

Don't bother. Their "offer" was too nebulous, and be thankful that they're paying you £500 you're not contractually entitled to. It's a goodwill gesture.

wtc
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by wtc » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:27 pm

One of those posts was mine. I have not updated the post yet but it is not over yet, though I am over the worst. Time for more chasing. I will post mine up when sufficiently resolved.

But back to yours, I would be thankful it has been nipped in the bud early to avoid all the potential issues. The falling out with neighbours because of land they would lose, the constant chasing, the stress of it has taken its toll on me. Even if they do not pay you a penny, its value will be much higher than the cost - more than financial - that it could have been to you.

The £500 might be a hollow gesture. By the sounds of it, it is not £500 cash but £500 towards their landscaping package. You may lose out if you pay them thousands for a bigger package, even with £500 off, if the work could be done much cheaper elsewhere.

Is it really 10 sq feet, or 10 sq m (108 sq ft). Either way, be happy you now have what you bought and can hopefully forget about it and enjoy the new home and garden.

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:44 pm

Read your contract carefully and you are likely to find that they can make corrections to 'mistakes' without any compensation...they do not however like ongoing complaints and so have offered a sweetener to resolve your complaint.....so grab the offer with both hands and thank them kindly for addressing your complaint which if you look here and on other forums often rumble on for years with little outcome. Enjoy your new house complete with correct boundary features.

span

Post by span » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:35 pm

They made a mistake.
You spotted the mistake.
They immediately fixed the mistake.
You have suffered no loss.
Why do you think you are entitled to compensation?

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:20 pm

span wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:35 pm
They made a mistake.
You spotted the mistake.
Ditto .

Be thankful , many situations like this never get resolved
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

SwitchRich

Post by SwitchRich » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:09 pm

span wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:35 pm
They made a mistake.
You spotted the mistake.
+1