New fence over the boundary

Lambzig

New fence over the boundary

Post by Lambzig » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:24 am

Hello, I just wanted to check that I am being ridiculous here please.

Our otherwise lovely neighbours have replaced the annoying metal fence between us with a feather edge wooden one (great!). However, they have sited it over the boundary line by two inches.

I can see what they have done. They have centred the new thicker posts on the centre of the old fence posts. The old fence sat in the middle of the posts on the boundary. They have now put the feather edge on our side of the posts (giving us the nice side) which means we have lost 2 inches of garden all along. Not a big deal but it’s really upsetting me.

Can you please confirm to me that this is de minimum if a bit annoying and that I need to let it go and get over it?

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: New fence over the boundary

Post by MacadamB53 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:51 am

Lambzig wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:24 am
Hello, I just wanted to check that I am being ridiculous here please.

Our otherwise lovely neighbours have replaced the annoying metal fence between us with a feather edge wooden one (great!). However, they have sited it over the boundary line by two inches.

I can see what they have done. They have centred the new thicker posts on the centre of the old fence posts. The old fence sat in the middle of the posts on the boundary. They have now put the feather edge on our side of the posts (giving us the nice side) which means we have lost 2 inches of garden all along. Not a big deal but it’s really upsetting me.

Can you please confirm to me that this is de minimum if a bit annoying and that I need to let it go and get over it?
yup

Lambzig

Post by Lambzig » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:53 am

(Obviously I meant de minimus). Thank you. I knew people on this forum would tell it straight.

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 am

I like the fact you have come on here with an open mind, you are coming across as a reasonable person! and there are a lot of unreasonable ones out there. It sounds like your neighbours in no way wanted to pig you off, they have given you the nice side (so try and focus on that pleasant aspect) there are a lot of disputes on here over 2ft or even 2 meters, so please just let it go and get on with your boundary dispute free life.

SJC14

Post by SJC14 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:07 am

liveinpeace wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 am
I like the fact you have come on here with an open mind, you are coming across as a reasonable person! and there are a lot of unreasonable ones out there. It sounds like your neighbours in no way wanted to pig you off, they have given you the nice side (so try and focus on that pleasant aspect) there are a lot of disputes on here over 2ft or even 2 meters, so please just let it go and get on with your boundary dispute free life.
Totally agree. I can see why it got the OP's back up but the spirit seems to be to give them a pleasant fence. Given the metal fence was deemed by the OP as ugly then this is actually a win.

Lambzig

Post by Lambzig » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:16 am

Thank you.

By the way, the metal fence was beautiful to look at and quite new but as both neighbours kids and mine play football I am glad it’s gone. The sound of footballs whacking and rattling a metal fence 50 times a day was horrendous.

Neighbours have had to leave gaps in the new fence to accommodate our raised beds which were up to the boundary. However, they are happy for us to attach trellis, so I will do that and let it go.

I think I am being over sensitive because my sister ended up in a boundary dispute that meant she sold her house (we got great advice here).

Thank you for the common sense as ever.