Social housing tennant replaced our fence and damaged shrubs and land

mr sheen

Re: Social housing tennant replaced our fence and damaged shrubs and land

Post by mr sheen » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:38 am

Just trying to prepare you for the can of worms you seek to open.

Don't expect the HA to respond in pleasantries....an apology! For what exercising their rights to cut back to the boundary and gifting you a new fence.....you are far more likely to get a response in an assertive and derogatory tone that may well fuel your anger.

You can assert whatever you like with respect to your father and the legalities concerning the property ...this is of no interest in a legal dispute.....the HA do not have to look into the legalities of your position or the diagnoses of property owners.

Before taking any action.....Please look around on this site and see the issues people have with HAs and the responses and disputes that result....you are embarking upon something that may well bring you far more stress and frustration...HAs are in business and nuisance neighbours are an inconvenience for them and they treat them as such and you will be placed in this category since they gift you a new fence and you complain!

If I were you I would count my blessings and move on with my priorities in life rather than exposing myself to more hassle.

imarcq

Post by imarcq » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks again. I will do. Mark.

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 am

please take into account there are posters on this forum who seem to enjoy being overly direct to people who come here because they are upset, and seem to actively encourage distress unnecessarily. please read other posts and you will understand. which is a shame as they are very knowledgeable.

you do deserve more courtesy, and it is a shame that you were not contacted. the thing about contractors who work on social housing is that it will have no impact on their lives. they do the job and move on. they have probably worked on several houses since your fathers, causing who knows what upset. its completely different in a owned home with contracted workmen. there seems to be more accountability.

just write a letter, get it off your chest, hopefully you will get an apology and be able to move on.
when a family member has dementia it can make you very protective and the sadness and anger it causes in those watching the decline can be soul destroying.At the end when only in my 20s, my mother thought I was her mother,you dont understand this unless you have been there. your probably getting more upset about this than you normally would,as your probably beyond angry at the cruelty of your situation to start off with, and channeling it into something physical.
put your energy into coping with what you are going through. buy another plant and plant it with your dad, put something written to say what it is for, and try to make good a bad situation.
kind regards
Liveinpeace

imarcq

Post by imarcq » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:04 am

liveinpeace wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:50 am
please take into account there are posters on this forum who seem to enjoy being overly direct to people who come here because they are upset, and seem to actively encourage distress unnecessarily. please read other posts and you will understand. which is a shame as they are very knowledgeable.

you do deserve more courtesy, and it is a shame that you were not contacted. the thing about contractors who work on social housing is that it will have no impact on their lives. they do the job and move on. they have probably worked on several houses since your fathers, causing who knows what upset. its completely different in a owned home with contracted workmen. there seems to be more accountability.

just write a letter, get it off your chest, hopefully you will get an apology and be able to move on.
when a family member has dementia it can make you very protective and the sadness and anger it causes in those watching the decline can be soul destroying.At the end when only in my 20s, my mother thought I was her mother,you dont understand this unless you have been there. your probably getting more upset about this than you normally would,as your probably beyond angry at the cruelty of your situation to start off with, and channeling it into something physical.
put your energy into coping with what you are going through. buy another plant and plant it with your dad, put something written to say what it is for, and try to make good a bad situation.
kind regards
Liveinpeace
Thanks so much for your kind reply. I will certainly do as you suggest and appreciate your sensitive response. Mark :)

imarcq

Post by imarcq » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:23 pm

I had a fairly positive meeting with the housing association. They were shocked that my shrub was cut down to a stump and so much debris left. Also they said the workmen should have stopped and consulted me at that point not destroy plants within boundary. They are sending an official to look and assess damages. She said at the very least they would remove the debris and decapitated bush. So far so good without confrontation.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:43 pm

mr sheen wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 am
.............. you have gained an excellent expensive fence....... despite having a spanking new fence gifted to you????

It's a panel fence, there is no gravel board apparent, the panel appears to be poor quality and the general standard of work very low.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:34 pm

thats actually a really good response from HA, hope it has helped make you and your dad feel a bit better about the situation,all it takes in so many boundary problems is for people to behave in a decent way. puts a bit of faith back.

imarcq

Post by imarcq » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:54 pm

arborlad wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:43 pm
mr sheen wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:41 am
.............. you have gained an excellent expensive fence....... despite having a spanking new fence gifted to you????

It's a panel fence, there is no gravel board apparent, the panel appears to be poor quality and the general standard of work very low.
Yes it's the bog standard one they use for all their property...touch it and you get splinters in your hand.

imarcq

Post by imarcq » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:56 pm

liveinpeace wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:34 pm
thats actually a really good response from HA, hope it has helped make you and your dad feel a bit better about the situation,all it takes in so many boundary problems is for people to behave in a decent way. puts a bit of faith back.
Yes thanks, I feel a lot better. I hope the site meeting goes as well. I'm already looking at a few large sized fast growing shrubs to fill in the gaps. Hopefully Mum will be watching me and smiling :)

imarcq

Post by imarcq » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:57 am

Just had phone call from HA project manager. They accepted full responsibility. Said they thought our house was theirs too! He said that they would pay full costs. He will repremand rude workman. Is coming out this arvo to see damage. Result! :)

Roblewis
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Roblewis » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Thought the house was theirs!!! - absolute incompetence. Get compensation based on sentimental value and associated nervous shock at losing your mothers cherished plant. But get them to remove the stump next year as it may re-shoot from the rootstock especially if YOU would really like to keep her memory

imarcq

Post by imarcq » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:33 pm

Roblewis wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:01 pm
Thought the house was theirs!!! - absolute incompetence. Get compensation based on sentimental value and associated nervous shock at losing your mothers cherished plant. But get them to remove the stump next year as it may re-shoot from the rootstock especially if YOU would really like to keep her memory
Thanks. We agreed they would contribute £200 towards cleaning up mess, and also for a general prune of surrounding bushes etc. I did wonder if the root would sprout next year but of course it's not going to grow back to size any year soon. The official was very apologetic so I think I'll leave it there as I'm not keen to go to court now.

cleo5

Post by cleo5 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 am

So glad this is resolved as you don,t need the stress. My OH has dementia and that is a cause for daily stress so I know how it is.

You have every reason to feel as you do.
Your garden is beautiful and well tended.

Those people had no right to remove yourfence ,however poor a condition it was in.
It was your property. The shrubs were yours/ your father's. All they were entitled to do was remove overhanging branches....not chop the lot down.
It was trespass and wanton destruction. Make sure you are adequately compensated.

The shrubs will grow again hopefully. If the roots are there then they will shoot again though it will take time. To replace them with similar plants of an adequate size would cost far more than the £200 offered.
You did the right thing so can rest easy.

imarcq

Post by imarcq » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:55 am

cleo5 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:06 am
So glad this is resolved as you don,t need the stress. My OH has dementia and that is a cause for daily stress so I know how it is.

You have every reason to feel as you do.
Your garden is beautiful and well tended.

Those people had no right to remove yourfence ,however poor a condition it was in.
It was your property. The shrubs were yours/ your father's. All they were entitled to do was remove overhanging branches....not chop the lot down.
It was trespass and wanton destruction. Make sure you are adequately compensated.

The shrubs will grow again hopefully. If the roots are there then they will shoot again though it will take time. To replace them with similar plants of an adequate size would cost far more than the £200 offered.
You did the right thing so can rest easy.
Thanks for your kind reply. I have a bought few smaller shrubs, a Camelia, Magnolia and another one I've forgotten the name of! So I'll plant those up the end when the gardener's have cleared up the mess left. Of course they will take a long time to become established. :)

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:40 am

imarcq wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:33 pm
I did wonder if the root would sprout next year but of course it's not going to grow back to size any year soon.

Generally speaking, an established shrub, no matter how badly it has been treated, will perform better than something newly planted. The most I would do is tidy up any poor cuts and leave it a full growing season, before making any decisions about it.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people