Painting of garden fence

Happylife

Painting of garden fence

Post by Happylife » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:09 am

Hi Folks
I am looking for advice re our garden fence which has been painted white by our neighbours.
We returned from holiday a few days ago and noticed white paint had bled through and ran down our fence-on further investigation our neighbour has painted his side of fence with white paint which has come through to our side-these wood panels are on our side of the boundary wire fence and we put them up.
To be honest the fact fence has been painted on neighbour's side is not the main problem it's the fact it has come through to our side and just looks a mess!!
We live in Scotland where do we stand with this?
Many thanks.

despair

Re: Painting of garden fence

Post by despair » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:27 pm

I do not think scottish law on this is different ...if a wire fence is the boundary and your wood fence is your side of it then they had absolutely no right whatever to touch it let alone paint it or do so in such a way that it comes through

There has been court cases reclaiming the cost of restoring matters or even a new fence i believe so maybe your neighbour needs to face the issue

Its your property and he has no right to touch it

IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:44 pm

Cost of a property dispute.....several thousands of £.
Cost of one solicitor's letter.....say £200.
Cost of a pot of brown paint to touch up......say £15.
Take your pick.

Regards

Ps. If you go for the third option try not to let the brown paint go through to the other side!

Happylife

Post by Happylife » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:14 am

Hi
Many thanks for replies.
We have decided to let this go this time but if it happens again we will politely let neighbour know fence is ours and paint is leaking through!!

IdefixUK

Post by IdefixUK » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:23 am

Happylife wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:14 am
Hi
Many thanks for replies.
We have decided to let this go this time but if it happens again we will politely let neighbour know fence is ours and paint is leaking through!!
It sounds as though the neighbours think they own the fence. I think that you should make clear NOW that the fence is your property.
Pleased that you have decided to let the painting issue drop. Very sensible.

Regards

despair

Post by despair » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:23 pm

Paint your side brown and if it leaks through its tough ...its your fence on your side of a wire fence

SJC14

Post by SJC14 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:03 pm

despair wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:23 pm
Paint your side brown and if it leaks through its tough ...its your fence on your side of a wire fence
Ducksback Cuprinol Black will cover the white. Brown will not cover white paint - it will show up a different colour if a stain is used. I would cover all 3 sides that you can easily get to.

IdefixUK

Post by IdefixUK » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:26 pm

A 3 sided fence?
Available only in Scotland I presume.

despair

Post by despair » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Why should the OP have to use cuprinol Black to cover the neighbours illegal white ....polite friendly discussion about the whole issue should be first port of call