Moving my gate

Stilo

Moving my gate

Post by Stilo » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi all
Do I need planing permission to move my gate from the side fence to a wall at the back of my garden? The wall is 6 ft high and so the gate will be no higher than that. On the outside of the wall there is a footpath then a communal car park. The gate will open inwards so not over the footpath. We do own the house. All the neighbours have there gates at the back wall/ fence.
Any help would be appropriate thank you.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Moving my gate

Post by Collaborate » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:00 pm

No.

pilman

Post by pilman » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:45 pm

Although "No" is the wrong answer, because you do need planning permission, you may be more reassured by knowing that planning permission is already granted by Schedule 2, Part 2, Class A, Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015, if you live in England.
PART 2
Minor operations
Class A – gates, fences, walls etc
Permitted development
A. The erection, construction, maintenance, improvement or alteration of a gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure.

Development not permitted
A.1 Development is not permitted by Class A if—
(a) the height of any gate, fence, wall or means of enclosure erected or constructed adjacent to a highway used by vehicular traffic would, after the carrying out of the development,
exceed—
(i) for a school, 2 metres above ground level, provided that any part of the gate, fence, wall or means of enclosure which is more than 1 metre above ground level does not create an obstruction to the view of persons using the highway as to be likely to cause danger to such persons;
(ii) in any other case, 1 metre above ground level;

(b) the height of any other gate, fence, wall or means of enclosure erected or constructed would exceed 2 metres above ground level;

(c) the height of any gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure maintained, improved or altered would, as a result of the development, exceed its former height or the height referred to in paragraph (a) or (b) as the height appropriate to it if erected or constructed, whichever is the greater; or

(d) it would involve development within the curtilage of, or to a gate, fence, wall or other means of enclosure surrounding, a listed building.
If you live in Wales planning permission is also granted by the earlier GPDO that applied to England and to Wales, so going ahead with what you intend is not going to cause you any problems with the local planning authority.

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:02 pm

Stilo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm
Hi all
Do I need planing permission to move my gate from the side fence to a wall at the back of my garden? The wall is 6 ft high and so the gate will be no higher than that. On the outside of the wall there is a footpath then a communal car park. The gate will open inwards so not over the footpath. We do own the house. All the neighbours have there gates at the back wall/ fence.
Any help would be appropriate thank you.
if you’re asking if you need to submit a planning application to obtain permission - the answer is “no”

this is because it qualifies as “permitted development” (see pilman’s detailed response)

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:38 pm

Stilo wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:46 pm
All the neighbours have there gates at the back wall/ fence.

Hmm - how old are your properties?
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Stilo

Post by Stilo » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:14 pm

Hi , Thanks for your replies , in answer to the question the properties were built in the 1970's and we are the end terrace house so will this make a difference ?

pilman

Post by pilman » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:17 pm

so will this make a difference ?
No. (to quote an earlier answer)

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:40 am

Stilo wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:14 pm
Hi , Thanks for your replies , in answer to the question the properties were built in the 1970's and we are the end terrace house so will this make a difference ?

I don't think there is much doubt that this isn't a planning matter but when you get several properties from the same era, all laid out and used one way and one lone one an exception, it does rather beg the question - why?

What was it about the layout and use of your garden at the time that made them site the gate there - likewise the car park?

As an aside, a fifty year old gate is unlikely to move well so could stay where it is and install a new one where you want it.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people