Fence and gate height on a retaining wall

carlos1040
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Fence and gate height on a retaining wall

Post by carlos1040 »

Hi everyone. I have a query that I’d really appreciate if someone could shed some light on for me.

My front/side garden is adjacent to a footpath. The ground of my garden is 900 mm above the footpath and there is a retaining wall which runs the length of my garden next to the footpath below.

I am planning on putting a 1metre high fence up. The fence will be 1metre high from my “ground”, which makes it about 1.9m high if you are on the pavement “ground” below. The question I have relates to a new driveway I am creating

I have opened up the original retaining wall to form the entrance of the new driveway and I have dug down the original sandstone bedrock to allow me to drive onto what was my existing garden.

I want to put gates up to match the height of the retaining wall (900mm) plus the height of the garden fence (1metre).

Do I need planning permission to have the gates sitting at the same height as the fence?

Thank you in advance.

Carl.
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Fence and gate height on a retaining wall

Post by MacadamB53 »

carlos1040 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:31 pm Hi everyone. I have a query that I’d really appreciate if someone could shed some light on for me.

My front/side garden is adjacent to a footpath. The ground of my garden is 900 mm above the footpath and there is a retaining wall which runs the length of my garden next to the footpath below.

I am planning on putting a 1metre high fence up. The fence will be 1metre high from my “ground”, which makes it about 1.9m high if you are on the pavement “ground” below. The question I have relates to a new driveway I am creating

I have opened up the original retaining wall to form the entrance of the new driveway and I have dug down the original sandstone bedrock to allow me to drive onto what was my existing garden.

I want to put gates up to match the height of the retaining wall (900mm) plus the height of the garden fence (1metre).

Do I need planning permission to have the gates sitting at the same height as the fence?

Thank you in advance.

Carl.
I’d fancy that your LPA might consider the gate to be separate to the wall/fence construction and therefore would need planning permission...
carlos1040

Post by carlos1040 »

Thank you for your reply @MacadamB53
IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK »

Hello carlos1040,
I can fully understand that you would want the height line of your gates to match the height of the new fence on your land. When folks have discussed fences on this forum there have often been comments relating to normal ground height/natural ground height as a starting point for measurements. If you have had to excavate original sandstone bedrock then you have lowered the normal ground level and,to me, that means you can install the gates to 1 metre above that level. I've also heard that local authorities can be zealous in their approach to these matters if they don't like what you're up to. I assume the gate will lead off your property and onto the public highway....do you have permission for this? Dropped kerbs etc.
Hopefully Pilman (a regular poster with a wealth of knowledge about such matters) will see your post and be able to advise you further.

Regards
carlos1040

Post by carlos1040 »

Hi @IdefixUK. Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post.
Yes. The local council highways department has visited and have signed off on my application for the dropped curb. They have marked out the access from the road and this is what I have based my entrance on. They will not proceed obviously until I have made a suitable entry point.
Also, yes, the sandstone bedrock which forms my natural ground height has to be excavated down to the same level as the public pathway. This is being excavated as I type.
Hopefully will hear from @Pilman at some point.
IdefixUK
Number of topics per page: 25

Post by IdefixUK »

Take lots of photos!

Regards