Fence Height

eeif
Number of Posts per Page: 6
Number of topics per page: 10

Fence Height

Post by eeif »

Good afternoon I really hope that you can help me with my query.

We have an odd shaped house on a corner plot, effectively no back garden just side gardens. We only use one side as a garden for the kids etc but there is some waste land on the other side of the fence which is our current garden and we wish to extend our high fence (6ft approx) to incorporate this waste land to make a bigger garden.

Our plan is to plant 5/6 ft high cherry laurel along the border walls then the fence behind this, so the fence will not really be seen as such. However, the short wall that is our boundary is against a public foortpath which is next to a road.

All I can read about is fencing next to a footpath cannot be over 1m high but hedging can be as high as you like. So I just wanted to ask if permission would still be required for the fence given that we are using hedging in between the wall and fence but keeping the fence to match the rest at 6ft?

many thanks
MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Re: Fence Height

Post by MacadamB53 »

eeif wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:37 pm Good afternoon I really hope that you can help me with my query.

We have an odd shaped house on a corner plot, effectively no back garden just side gardens. We only use one side as a garden for the kids etc but there is some waste land on the other side of the fence which is our current garden and we wish to extend our high fence (6ft approx) to incorporate this waste land to make a bigger garden.

Our plan is to plant 5/6 ft high cherry laurel along the border walls then the fence behind this, so the fence will not really be seen as such. However, the short wall that is our boundary is against a public foortpath which is next to a road.

All I can read about is fencing next to a footpath cannot be over 1m high but hedging can be as high as you like. So I just wanted to ask if permission would still be required for the fence given that we are using hedging in between the wall and fence but keeping the fence to match the rest at 6ft?

many thanks
that’s a question for the planning inspector should this ever get that far...

there have been cases where it has been determined that those particular >1m tall fences behind those particular hedges were a breach because they were deemed to be “adjacent” to those particular highways, and there have been cases where it has been determined other >1m tall fences behind other hedges were not a breach because they were deemed to not be “adjacent” to their particular highways...

...in other words, each cases is determined based on it’s particular details - there isn’t a hard-and-fast, black-and-white rule you can apply...

whether your particular fence behind your hedge on your property will be deemed “adjacent” to your particular highway is not something anyone on here can answer with a lot more detail...

kind regards, Mac
Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet »

eeif wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:37 pm Good afternoon I really hope that you can help me with my query.

many thanks
Who owns the 'waste land'? Is this an attempt at Adverse Possession?
Janieb

Post by Janieb »

Morgan Sweet wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:30 pm
Who owns the 'waste land'? Is this an attempt at Adverse Possession?
Or is it possibly amenity land which, although owned by the OP, should not be fenced.
"I prefer rogues to imbeciles, because they sometimes take a rest" Alexandre Dumas (fils)
eeif
Number of Posts per Page: 6
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by eeif »

Thank you for your responses.

It has been tricky to find an actual 'rule' / 'law' as you say so I totally understand your reply and thank you.

Also, the land belongs to us, it is a large corner plot, we are not 'adverse possessing' or 'amenity land'.