Postby nicola m » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:29 pm

This may seem like a stupid question but how do i find out who owns which fence.
my neighbour recently died , and her house is still lived in by her grandson, who has let the house and garden go quite abit, i.e the fences are falling apart on both sides of her garden.

is it a case of contacting the council or the land registry
nicola m
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:21 pm

Ads are not endorsed by www.gardenlaw.co.uk or the staff thereof and visitors should perform their own due diligence on the product or service offered.

Postby despair » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:08 pm

You need copies of both sets of deeds from the land registry

You can download these from the Land registry website at 34 per house and theres 2 sections for each house

The details ref fencing should either be on the plans in the form of "T" marks or in the text of the deeds
Posts: 16107
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:07 am

Postby Angelisle » Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:21 pm

Title details as to who owns the property and Plan as to boundary are available as a pdf download £2 per copy = £4 per property. Link below for website.

User avatar
Posts: 844
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:28 am
Location: Isle of Wight

Postby Danny » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:08 pm

According to Land Registry, T marks on a deed plan which are not referred to in the deed have no special force or meaning in law.

In addition to the Title deeds and deed plan there may be reference within the title deeds to covenants, don't know if you can download copies of covenants from the Land Registry web site or, if they any longer bother to keep copies of covenants, once the main points have been inserted into the Title deeds.
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:55 am

Postby gardenlaw » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:19 am

If the Land Registry has kept a copy of relevant conveyances from the past these will be so stated in the Title eg"copy filed" or something like that. Then you can get a copy.
Remember the Land Registry plan is not to be relied on as accurately setting out boundaries. The Council cannot help. The Deeds are only one source of evidence and are not conclusive particularly if contradicted by next doors Deeds or by evidence to the contrary on the ground.
Is there any physical evidence that helps? Perhaps you can agree something with the grandson to enable you to replace them.
Site Admin
Posts: 816
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:40 pm
Location: Halifax

Postby nicola m » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:48 pm

thanks everyone one for the advice. very helpful
nicola m
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:21 pm

Return to Fences

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests