Neighbour wants to to use our side of garden to erect fence

Primed101

Neighbour wants to to use our side of garden to erect fence

Post by Primed101 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:26 pm

Our neighbour wants to replace the existing wooden fence at the front of the garden and to do that, he wants to have access to our front garden.

Under normal circumstances it wouldn't be an issue, but in the recent past he has also said that the fence running down the side of the house (it's his fence) is in the wrong position by about 6 - 8 inches in our favour.

We have not moved the fence, it has been in situ for approx 25 years and there has been 3 changes of ownership of our house whilst he has lived there, so essentially from the advise I have received (from this forum and outside) is that he can't really object to the fence.

So my question is, that in the light of the above, do I have to allow him access to my property so that he can do the front of his fence or can I tell him to do it from his side only?

Many thanks

despair

Re: Neighbour wants to to use our side of garden to erect fe

Post by despair » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:45 pm

Tell him to do it from his side only and be very very sure you with witnesses take lots of photos now complete with measurements from a fixed point and record them all on a plan

Also make sure you have legal expenses cover that includes boundaries on your house insurance so that if he moves that fence towards you wont face large bills

span

Post by span » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:18 am

Why don't you ask him first where he intends to place the new fence?

Report back here with his answer, then we can give you more meaningful advice.

Primed101

Post by Primed101 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:06 am

I think he just wants to replace the existing fence at the same position.

He has a supporting piece of wood on our side of the boundary, but the rest of his fence panels are on his side.

As I originally posted, under normal circumstances, I would not have a problem for his contractors to come on our side of the garden and install the fence (as long at it is in the same position as is currently), but with him already having kicked up a fuss with the fence line further down the garden, I just wanted some advice as to whether I should say to him to keep his contractors on his side.

I don't want them to come onto my side using the excuse that the want to install the fence and then use that opportunity to look in more detail at the fence further down.

SJC14

Post by SJC14 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:33 am

Primed101 wrote: he has also said that the fence running down the side of the house (it's his fence) is in the wrong position by about 6 - 8 inches in our favour.
We have not moved the fence, it has been in situ for approx 25 years and there has been 3 changes of ownership of our house whilst he has lived there, so essentially from the advise I have received (from this forum and outside) is that he can't really object to the fence.s
It sounds like you agree that the fence is in the wrong side of the boundary but want to keep the status quo. Can you actually prove that the fence has been there for 25 years? The 3 changes of ownership are irrelevant.

For access for the first fence I would suggest that the fence can be built without entering your garden.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 pm

arborlad

smile...it confuses people

Volumiza

Post by Volumiza » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi again,

I now own the house and the drive. All neighbours have a right of way over the drive to access their gardens, no problem. Our problem neighbours erected a fence across the whole top of the drive and are now hanging signs from it and have also painted a thick black grease over the part that spans my drive. They think that because they bought the fence they now have rights over my boundary so keep putting signs up on my land saying the fence belongs to them. Is painting the grease criminal damage? It is not on their land at all.

Thanks

Primed101

Post by Primed101 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi arborlad

Yes this is the same fence.

As my previous thread, neighbour was saying that the LR showed our fence straight but over time it had moved. We have bought the house like it was and according to our neighbour the previous owner of their house installed the fence slightly inside their boundary (about 6" to 8") because there were some flowers and plants that he did not want to destroy.

He wanted to re-instate the fence and wanted to move the boundary over to our side. We dug in our heels on this and told him that he had been living there over 20 years so why was he bringing this up now (we know why, because he just build a small side extension so the extra 6" to 8" would be useful). I do have legal cover with my house insurance and they advised that he should have really brought this up years ago, perhaps when he first bought it since he was aware then or when our house was originally sold etc. Therefore we have told him that the fence line cannot be altered.

He is now saying that he wants to change the fence panels at the front of his house and wanted his contractors to come over to my side to install the fence (we live on a hill and we are lower than his house).

I just wanted to know where I stood on this because what I don't want him to do is a reccy for changing the fence and so one day I come home from work and it has all been moved!

Morph

Post by Morph » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:32 pm

It is best the neighbour obtains your permission to go on your side to erect a new front fence. If you think the contractors need reasonable access to your side, you could state they keep going over to your side to a minimum and only to erect the front fence to the same line as it is now. Most fence contractors I believe know even with permission they keep their access to a couple of feet within a neighbours property. If you’re concerned they’ll do a reccy on the other side fence you could always put your conditional permission in writing. Maybe add you don’t approve of access for changing the side fence. If you’re very concerned just say no. Keep it polite. And take lots of photos on the fences before and raise concerns ASAP if you have any.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:14 am

You could also paint a marker at both ends of the existing fence that shows where the current fence is - that way if they install the new fence in an incorrect position you will have your photographic evidence. Take before and after photos.

jonahinoz

Post by jonahinoz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:02 am

Hi,

Ask for a large deposit to cover any damage or other adverse impact on your property.

Your neighbour's predecessor voluntarily gave up the strip of land, and your neighbour bought what he saw. At what point in time did he become aware that he was eight inches short ... before or after he purchased the house?

Keep in mind, that you wish to sell before he does, he can claim there is a dispute. If he wants to sell first, is there anyway of getting your neighbour to acknowledge that there is not a dispute.

John W

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:38 am

arborlad wrote:Is this the same fence: http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20993

Primed101 wrote:Hi arborlad

Yes this is the same fence.

You should ask Admin to merge your threads.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people