Raising garden height to restore views to fields

peacemaker

Raising garden height to restore views to fields

Post by peacemaker » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:29 pm

Hello,
Some of you might have seen my woes on the ROW sub forum, basically we're in the midst of a neighbour war, our neighbour inconveniently owns all the land around our house. As such he has now erected ram-shackle fencing which obstructs our view to open fields. I obviously appreciate he can erect fencing as he so wishes (two metres) but what I would like to understand is what is the minimum height I can raise my garden ground level too without planning permission please?

One more thing, can shiplap fencing be installed in the greenbelt, our garden backs onto open countryside?

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Raising garden height to restore views to fields

Post by Collaborate » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:26 pm

You can erect decking without planning permission provided the total area isn't greater than half the garden area, and the height of the decking is not more than 30cm above the highest natural part of the land underneath it. So, if the garden slopes down from the house, you can erect decking that is much more than 30 cm high provided at least part of it is less than 30cm off the ground.

peacemaker

Post by peacemaker » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:02 am

Thanks Collaborate however our intention is to actually raise the height of the lawn. A lot of work but not insurmountable as we have lots of left over material from building work. 20 - 30 tons of concrete that will get crushed onsite, another 20 tons of sub soil, we'll then ensure there is 12-16 inches of top soil and probably lay turf over the top.

Our view is that we would have to pay approx. £1k in grab hire to remove it so instead we'll bury it sympathetically in the garden and which will allow us to see over the ram-shackle fencing and restore our views. Probably quite extreme but it seems logical to me.

Before I go ahead I just wanted to check that we don't need planning permission to raise the height of the lawn by 1-2 feet.

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:08 am

Earth works require PP. Best to check with your LPA.