Another fence issue

Eldwicker

Another fence issue

Post by Eldwicker » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Hello

I am hoping to get some advice.

Our neighbour recently installed a new fence. Around halfway down the length of the fence one of the panels is at a slight angle, rather than a straight line, effectively cutting out around another 20cm of our land for the rest of the fence length; another 10 or so panels. Apparently it was an error by the builder, but funny that it benefits them. The posts are concreted in so we can't re-aiign it without significant cost. I don't really want to quibble over 20cm but it adds up over a distance and it is more annoying than anything else. They also didnt consult us about the fence either.

Is there anything I can/should do?

thanks

span

Re: Another fence issue

Post by span » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 pm

Speak with the neighbours and see what they say?

Collaborate
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Collaborate » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:21 pm

Write to the neighbour and inform them that the fence has been incorrectly sited. Inform them that they need to have it removed where it is wrong, and placed in the correct position. The cost should not trouble you.

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:30 pm

It’s not a significant cost and it is relatively easy to remove a concreted in post
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:58 am

Hi Eldwicker,

They also didnt consult us about the fence either.

in what way is this relevant?

kind regards, Mac

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:55 am

span wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:24 pm
Speak with the neighbours and see what they say?

Talking is always preferable to writing - in the first instance.

There's usually a reason when there is an an encroachment like this, have you looked over the fence to see what it might be, it doesn't make it right - just explainable.

It's always best to be around when works are happening at the limit of your land, notice of those works is how you find out about them.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:28 am

hi macadam
I think it is just manners to have a word with your neighbour if you are changing the fence between you and them. maybe consulted with isnt quite the right word, but I personally would want someone to just tell me so I could move my pots and from experience I now would keep an eye on where the fence was going.

I would also always try and have a chat before a letter, the wording of a letter can always be a bit misunderstood and can seem a bit too official.
kind regards
Liveinpeace.

SwitchRich

Post by SwitchRich » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:47 am

I agree with talking face to face. If it is really bothering you then you can also offer to chip in some of the cost. It might not seem palatable to you but 20cm is extremely unlikely to get to court so your options to force them are limited to say the least.
If you really want it rectified then when you speak to them it makes it much less confrontational if you offer to split the costs.
If they refuse then you can inform then you will get the posts moved yourself. For 10 posts you are probably looking at a few hundred quid, Job done.

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:21 pm

liveinpeace wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:28 am
hi macadam
I think it is just manners to have a word with your neighbour if you are changing the fence between you and them. maybe consulted with isnt quite the right word, but I personally would want someone to just tell me so I could move my pots and from experience I now would keep an eye on where the fence was going.

I would also always try and have a chat before a letter, the wording of a letter can always be a bit misunderstood and can seem a bit too official.
kind regards
Liveinpeace.
it was a question for the OP to answer....

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:13 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:21 pm
[/quote]

No, it clouds the issue and is not relevant.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

span

Post by span » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:41 pm

MacadamB53 wrote:
liveinpeace wrote:
hi macadam

kind regards
Liveinpeace.
If you have private questions for the OP or anyone it's probably best to send a PM rather than post them up publicly for all to read and answer.

MacadamB53

Post by MacadamB53 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 pm

span wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:41 pm
MacadamB53 wrote:
liveinpeace wrote:
hi macadam

kind regards
Liveinpeace.
If you have private questions for the OP or anyone it's probably best to send a PM rather than post them up publicly for all to read and answer.
it’s not a private question - it’s a question directed to the OP to answer is all

span

Post by span » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:37 am

MacadamB53 wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:22 pm
span wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:41 pm
MacadamB53 wrote:
it’s not a private question - it’s a question directed to the OP to answer is all
Then don't be surprised if others join in!

Eldwicker

Post by Eldwicker » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Thanks for the responses and advice.

I've had a chat with the neighbours and they kind of shrugged their shoulders and said the fencers made a mistake. They did not seem keen to get it re-done.

Like someone said, 20cm isnt going to get very far in the courts. Just a shame it worked out like this because it has strained our relations. The lack of discussion beforehand, the shrugging the shoulders afterward.

We are due to have some landscaping work done in the garden and might suggest righting the wrong at the same time. See how that goes,

Thanks

Eldwicker

span

Post by span » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:02 am

Hire the same fencer to correct it when you're getting the garden done. Maybe he'll make another mistake in your favour this time and you'll get to shrug your shoulders...