Anti cat fencing.

BML
Number of Posts per Page: 3
Number of topics per page: 3

Anti cat fencing.

Post by BML » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:05 pm

I have three problems with cats as set out below.
Cats mess which they leave all over my garden rather smells and sticks to ones boots.
Cats hunt birds in my garden.
Cats terrorise my chickens.
I recognise that I'm not allowed to shoot cats but am I allowed to dissuade them from entering my garden by stringing Barbed Wire along the top of my fences?

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Re: Anti cat fencing.

Post by liveinpeace » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:10 pm

a friend of mine who was at her whits end with the amount of cats,pooping, digging up pants and killing her ducklings put carpet grippers on her fence (after trying just about everything else) she was reported by next door neighbour with 4 cats! got a visit from PSPCA and had to remove it or face animal cruelty charges. I have heard that a fine wire or tight string along a fence sometimes works as they cant walk along it. there is also oscillot cat proof fencing that looks good.

there is a long series of posts on this forum about cats and it seems nothing polarises opinion more than cat lovers and loathers. there was a funny bit about anti vandal paint though.

if you do work out how to stop cats coming in your garden please let us know,i have buried three baby birds so far this week.

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:54 pm

If your fence is adjacent to a highway the highways act also has a section specifically to do with barbed wire and spikes etc on walls and fences.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

liveinpeace
Number of Posts per Page: 10
Number of topics per page: 10

Post by liveinpeace » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:15 am

I must apologise, I really need to wear my glasses when typing my responses, ive just realised I put cats are digging up pants!

BML

Post by BML » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:57 am

"If your fence is adjacent to a highway the highways act also has a section specifically to do with barbed wire and spikes etc on walls and fences." What is it?

mugwump

Post by mugwump » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:32 pm

BML

Post by BML » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:14 pm

About the only reference that I can see that mentions Barbed wire is as follows.
"Where on land adjoining a highway there is a fence made with barbed wire, or having barbed wire in or on it, and the wire is a nuisance to the highway,"
I have no idea how Barbed wire on a fence can be a nuisance to the highway when the fence is in my back garden.

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:09 am

BML wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:14 pm
About the only reference that I can see that mentions Barbed wire is as follows.
"Where on land adjoining a highway there is a fence made with barbed wire, or having barbed wire in or on it, and the wire is a nuisance to the highway,"
I have no idea how Barbed wire on a fence can be a nuisance to the highway when the fence is in my back garden.
It’s a nuisance to the highway if it causes a danger to people or animals on the highway . The law recognises the fact that something on the highway may accidentally or deliberately under certain circumstances covered under the law cross the boundary between the highway and private land adjacent to it and has legislated to prevent harm should that happen .

Just like you can’t electrify a fence adjacent to the highway as someone could accidentally touch the fence they see barbed wire etc also to be a significant danger.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

BML

Post by BML » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:34 am

I have the answer. Buy a assertive Jack Russell dog.

despair

Post by despair » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:53 pm

Fit those spiky plastic pigeon strps to top of your fence ...i dont think cats like walking along that

FilthWizzard

Post by FilthWizzard » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:33 pm

Just buy a bag of cat treats, and put some in your pocket before going out. Then as you're passing chuck some over each of your neighbours' fences every so often. The cats will soon develop a preference for your neighbours' gardens over yours.