Next door neighbour hangs her washing line on the fence

Wallace11

Next door neighbour hangs her washing line on the fence

Post by Wallace11 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:07 pm

I bought my house from new and when I did I had the house builder erect a 6 foot fence which I paid for. We recently had a new neighbour move in and she hangs her washing line on to the fence which has weakened one of the posts, i have asked her politely not to do this but she continues and argues that it's her fence also. I tend to disagree with her. We are not on talking terms as she thinks i am being nasty for asking her not to hang her line on the fence. Any advice. Seeing as I paid for the fence when I bought the property back in 2013.

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Re: Next door neighbour hangs her washing line on the fence

Post by ukmicky » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:13 pm

You may have paid for it but what do the deeds say about ownership.

Even if it was shared she still can’t do something to it that would cause damage to it.

If it were me I know what I would do but I wouldn’t do it whilst clothes were on the line. If it turned out to be my fence I would then buy a small tin of anti climb paint and coat the post with it.
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

despair

Post by despair » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:58 pm

Too many people fail to see fences as other peoples property

As her if you can attach your washing line to her car ?

She will say NO

So tell her same applies to a fence you ordered and paid 100% for ...wave the receipt in her face

If that fails then remove the line and
Let washing fall to the ground .. uddy preferably

mr sheen

Post by mr sheen » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:29 pm

The problem with issues like this is.....what are you going to do about it/what can you do about it?
Often we have to put things into perspective since kicking off about it presents worse outcomes than the issue itself.

If the neighbour hasn't removed the washing line it's likely that they aren't going to do so.

So now you are not speaking over a washing line and a fence post and your options now are limited.

You can either get legal advice and send a letter claiming ownership of the fence and requesting removal of the line. They will probably dispute you own the fence and ask for your evidence of ownership. Even if you can provide evidence of ownership unless they remove it voluntarily you will then be faced with seeking an injunction to get the line removed....all in all expect costs in the 1000's and the chances of getting an injunction are in fact slim since the matter will be seen as pretty trivial and your consequent losses low. Also the developer erected it to indicate boundaries being sold making its ownership difficult to evidence.

Or....you can put the matter in perspective of a washing line attached to a post and accept it.

despair

Post by despair » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:52 pm

despair wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:58 pm
Too many people fail to see fences as other peoples property

Ask her if you can attach your washing line to her car ?

She will say NO

So tell her same applies to a fence you ordered and paid 100% for ...wave the receipt in her face

If that fails then remove the line and
Let washing fall to the ground .. muddy preferably

Roblewis
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by Roblewis » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:40 pm

The problem always with modern timber posts. Good quality concrete is very similar in price and near indestructible compared to timber posts