Neighbour's hedge

Morgan Sweet

Re: Neighbour's hedge

Post by Morgan Sweet » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:03 pm

arborlad wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:15 am
Morgan Sweet wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:56 pm
Criticism of my postings from some individuals is their prerogative but appears to arise from not reading or understanding the English language it its correct form.

Criticism of your postings is on the basis that they are absolutely, completely and utterly wrong...............
No, when reading the criticism it is clear that you do not understand the posting and jump to a conclusion that is incorrect.

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:20 pm

Morgan Sweet wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:03 pm
arborlad wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:15 am
Morgan Sweet wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:56 pm
Criticism of my postings from some individuals is their prerogative but appears to arise from not reading or understanding the English language it its correct form.

Criticism of your postings is on the basis that they are absolutely, completely and utterly wrong...............
No, when reading the criticism it is clear that you do not understand the posting and jump to a conclusion that is incorrect.

What's to misunderstand about advising an illegal act :roll: :roll:

Morgan Sweet wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 pm
If the hedge is growing over your side, then discretely, treat the overhanging area with a strong glyphosate mixture of weed killer.
arborlad

smile...it confuses people

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Morgan Sweet wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:55 am
MacadamB53 wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:38 pm
“Morgan Sweet” wrote:It is important when giving legal advice that you have a proficient grasp of the language.
in case there’s any confusion, no postings on this forum should be considered as legal advice.

here’s point No 1 of the forum’s disclaimer that all new members are asked to read:

1. This forum is for general information only and DOES NOT constitute professional advice.

kind regards, Mac
Again you misrepresent what I wrote, you do need to read more carefully to understand the English language. All advice to do with the Law is Legal Advice just as all advice to do with horticulture is horticultural advice; the disclaimer says however, that does not constitute professional advice.
Hi Morgan Sweet,

I wish you no wrong - please stop being so defensive.

I was making it clear to the forum at large, some of whom might not make the distinction, rather than trying to correct you.

kind regards, Mac

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:25 am

arborlad wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 am
Morgan Sweet wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:16 am
The way you chose to remove the overhanging branches from your property has never been prescribed (in my experience). A good dose of glyphosate will kill off even leylandii branches. Naturally you, of course, should take the utmost care not to kill the offending hedge, although it is very difficult to prove how a plant has died.

As a farmer or contractor you should already be aware of the misuse of pesticides and how foliar-acting herbicides work - if not, go ask your son before you give any more bad advice.

For the OP: what type of hedge is it?

The above was suggested in good faith. Everyone who has been critical of the contents of your posts is a professional in some shape or form - myself included.

Your continued attempts to justify your illegal advice will bring the forum into disrepute.

You now need to go and see your son as a matter of urgency - hopefully a family member will put you right where professionals have failed!!
arborlad

Morgan Sweet

Post by Morgan Sweet » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:45 pm

I do not wish to bring the forum into disrepute and would never knowingly advocate any illegal means to remedy a situation. The safe working with pesticides is indeed an HSE legal requirement and contractors/ farmers have to abide by them. You have to be certificated (or claim Grandfather rights) to professionally use the substances. These regulations came into law after I had long retired from using weed killers. The complication is that it is my understanding that these regulations do not apply to the (amateur) homeowner who I believe can legally use a weed killer as described. I clearly stated that it should be used discretely only on the overhanging branches and that the utmost care should be taken not to kill the plant. If this advice is illegal then I apologise and it should not be followed. I will not be contacting any of my sons on the matter as not one of them has any legal qualifications and they will probably each have a different point of view.

geoff-1951

Post by geoff-1951 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:16 pm

Hello all,

For a long time now I have had problems with my neighbours' vine that has taken over my back garden. That was up until the early May bank holiday, it seems he has cut the vine on his side of the fence and disposed of it all.

So I have decided to wait until the stuff on my side of the fence rots and falls off the fence, then I will be able to dispose of the decayed cuttings.

The only thing, of course, can I dispose of them without facing charges of theft of his property? Any advice would be helpful.

Geoff

MacadamB53
Number of Posts per Page: 100
Number of topics per page: 50

Post by MacadamB53 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi geoff-1951,

isn’t the simplest solution to inform the neighbour of your plan and ask them if they want you to return the rotten vine?

kind regards, Mac

arborlad

Post by arborlad » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:33 am

Morgan Sweet wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:45 pm
I do not wish to bring the forum into disrepute and would never knowingly advocate any illegal means to remedy a situation. The safe working with pesticides is indeed an HSE legal requirement and contractors/ farmers have to abide by them. You have to be certificated (or claim Grandfather rights) to professionally use the substances. These regulations came into law after I had long retired from using weed killers. The complication is that it is my understanding that these regulations do not apply to the (amateur) homeowner who I believe can legally use a weed killer as described. I clearly stated that it should be used discretely only on the overhanging branches and that the utmost care should be taken not to kill the plant. If this advice is illegal then I apologise and it should not be followed. I will not be contacting any of my sons on the matter as not one of them has any legal qualifications and they will probably each have a different point of view.

There is nothing complicated about it, your understanding is utterly wrong...............
arborlad

ukmicky
Number of Posts per Page: 20
Number of topics per page: 20

Post by ukmicky » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:37 pm

I had a bit of land beyond my fence that no one wanted that had many offending plants growing through my fence causing damage . I was told an alternative to weed killers was to put hot water in a watering can and mix a strong solution of salt in it

It worked .i was told it can’t kill a mature bush as the salt crystals are to large to get through to the roots but it will kill off the growth and buds on what ever it sprayed on and it seemed to last a few years before there was noticeable growth coming back my way . I used rock salt as it was fairly cheap and had a bag that was originally going to be used on my drive in the winter. It did take 3 applications though. It will also klll any grass below
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion

Roblewis

Post by Roblewis » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:48 pm

The Department of Environment are the prime controllers of pesticide use and the legislation applies to commercial AND domestic use. Even the use of salt is illegal as it is not an approved herbicide, and this is exacerbated by its use on somebody else's land. This is a long way from the OP and cutting a hedge

ukmicky

Post by ukmicky » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:36 pm

Roblewis wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:48 pm
The Department of Environment are the prime controllers of pesticide use and the legislation applies to commercial AND domestic use. Even the use of salt is illegal as it is not an approved herbicide, and this is exacerbated by its use on somebody else's land. This is a long way from the OP and cutting a hedge

The use of sodium chlorate as a herbicide is illegal but not sodium chloride
Any information provided is not legal advice and you are advised to gain a professional opinion