can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Post Reply
cjmilbank
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:52 pm
Number of Posts per Page: 50
Number of topics per page: 10

can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Post by cjmilbank » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:56 pm

Last year we purchased 4 acres of agricultural land to graze our horses on. We are ready to submit plans for 4 stables and a sand school. We know that our neighbors who border the land will object. Is it 'legal' to plant conifers in said field to form a dense hedge??

Treeman
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:02 am
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Re: can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Post by Treeman » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:31 pm

cjmilbank wrote:Last year we purchased 4 acres of agricultural land to graze our horses on. We are ready to submit plans for 4 stables and a sand school. We know that our neighbors who border the land will object. Is it 'legal' to plant conifers in said field to form a dense hedge??

Yes

billy the kid
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:01 am

Re: can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Post by billy the kid » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:39 am

yes .many farms around here have done so but if any type of road junctions are around. the hedge would have to be very low indeed.

Regards,

Treeman
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:02 am
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Re: can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Post by Treeman » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:35 am

billy the kid wrote:yes .many farms around here have done so but if any type of road junctions are around. the hedge would have to be very low indeed.
Regards,

No it wouldnt

Geometer
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:23 pm
Location: Suffolk

Re: can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Post by Geometer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:45 am

Can you not plant a traditional mixed native species hedge? It would be aesthetically more attractive, more in keeping with the agricultural nature of the landscape, and of much more benefit to your local wildlife.

billy the kid
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:01 am

Re: can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Post by billy the kid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:54 pm

What i should have said was the farm where i go and the neighbouring farms were told to keep the hedge very low where the road continues but at the same time forks left or right tightly as it was a dangerous combination.
Treeman i dont know if this is tree law/hedge law but they were strongly advised about that situation.

Hope it helped any, anyway.

Treeman
Posts: 3993
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:02 am
Number of Posts per Page: 50

Re: can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Post by Treeman » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:21 pm

billy the kid wrote:What i should have said was the farm where i go and the neighbouring farms were told to keep the hedge very low where the road continues but at the same time forks left or right tightly as it was a dangerous combination.
Treeman i dont know if this is tree law/hedge law but they were strongly advised about that situation.

Hope it helped any, anyway.

Told by who??

and

Its not law

billy the kid
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:01 am

Re: can i plant conifers on agricultural land?

Post by billy the kid » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:47 pm

Yes if its not law - ok (did i suggest it is against the law?)
Probably the traffic police (i presume) advised(or told)the farms to keep the hedge low at those points,(common sense)- wreaths and ribbons are on two key areas where the road arcs across itself like a continuous letter( r).
The hedges at these points are habitually trimmed right down by the farms.(leylandi hedges)

Only trying to paint the picture of what has happened around here. :(

Regards.

Post Reply